• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 & 3/4 rear end?

I'm willing to bet both of your "giblets" that someone at some time moved that splitter block. So you have a few options....cut/re-flare the lines, do some creative bending, or, and this is the one I would do, drill and tap the housing in the right location and be done with it.

I would adjust the lines or replace them before I moved the block and drilled a hole there the difference may be where it fits a Dana and 8 3/4... you should be able to bend or straighten the lines to gain or loose length with out drilling or clearing fittings.. from the pic it isn't that far off

- - - Updated - - -

You could certainly drill a new hole, but personally, I think that will be more work and hassle, with more risk to screw up the rear with metal shavings. If it were me, I would get the brake lines correct rather than drilling another hole in the axle.

Just my $0.02...

Sometimes the exaust gets close to the line and it gets moved...

It's not hard to take apart the rear to drill it, or use heavy grease on the bit and tap to keep the shavings from going in the housing.

Or weld a stud in the proper location and put a nut on it and move the vent at the next rebuild...

Or weld a bolt in the proper location and put a nut on it and move the vent at the next rebuild...

Copied from above and 1 word change. I had said to weld a nut on housing and after looking better at the pictures have decided a bolt would weld better.

Or weld a bolt in the proper location and put a nut on it and move the vent at the next rebuild...
Sorry didn't read the thread... but we're on the same page...
Copied from above and 1 word change. I had said to weld a nut on housing and after looking better at the pictures have decided a bolt would weld better.
And if a few more say it maybe he will because it's easier smartest way... next would be to shorten lengthen a line... I would hate to have to pull a freshly rebuilt rear end over a < 10 minute $10 fix.... is this a concourse quality car that needs that vent 100% correct drill a hole .....

Even though I just rebuilt the rear end and used some top quality paint on the housing I think I will go with the bolt & nut deal that about 20 of you mentioned. LOL Thanks guys I can always depend on you all. All I need to do now is convert you all to Bama fans and it would be perfect. THANKS

Just letting you guys know that today I visited a fried that is restoring a 72 Road runner. He is putting it back together now after painting. I looked underneath and measured the distance on his separator & breather tube. The brake lines I purchased for my car will fit his 8&3/4 rear end perfectly. I have since fixed my problem with mine but does anyone know if the breather tube & seperator were in different locations for different year models? It may help for future reference anyway.

Auto Transport Service
Back