• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 Suregrip

bobs63wagon

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:07 PM
Reaction score
I have an old 8 3/4 Suregrip that I think I will sell. Thought about replacing the clutches in it before I sell it. Are there any instructions on replacing them? Don't seem to find any instructions anywhere. Want to do it right. Any ideas?

I remember instructions in some of the clutch disc kits I purchased in the past, but the directions are in all the FSMs for the years in which these SG units were factory installed.
Mike

PS; Don't forget the SG case bolts are LEFT hand thread!

If you have never done one and are selling.... just sell it as is so the next guy knows exactly what he's getting, a used 8 3/4 SG.

Just my opinion but if I were you, I'd consider selling as is. The new owner will likely want to go through anyway.

I remember instructions in some of the clutch disc kits I purchased in the past, but the directions are in all the FSMs for the years in which these SG units were factory installed.
Mike

PS; Don't forget the SG case bolts are LEFT hand thread!
You sure about the SG having lefthand threads? Ring gear bolts yes.

Did one many years ago, just wanted to refresh my memory. Think I will sell as is because whoever buys it probably won't believe I rebuilt it anyway. Thanks

If you don't have a factory service manual you can go to Dr Diff's website, he has it there in his tech articles somewhere, or it might be that you go to the clutch kit in the parts section and then click on that for more info... I can't remember exactly where but I know I've seen it there.

It's a clutch unit and not a cone? Both are a total different ball of wax.....

How much are you asking for it?
Have yet to decide a price. Am going to disassemble it today and check all the components. Want to make sure it is okay to sell. Will make the price as reasonable as possible. Will know later today (Saturday 26th my plan).

Have cone SG I may need to open up do they lefthand threads to separate the halves?
The one that's in the cabinet has right hand threads but seems like I had one once that did have left hand. Been too long and that's the only cone unit I have to look at but if it was left handed, the heads will most likely be marked like the ring gear bolts are. And when you go back together, it's a good idea to use a dab of red Loc-tite on them.

Auto Transport Service
Back