• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.75 Green Bearings?

satellite67

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
I'm putting a 3:55 SG 489 center section in my '67 Satellite, and the axle bearings need replaced. Any body have good or bad to say about green snap ring retained axle bearings? Thanks!!

I'm always seeing that they are for racing only. Not sure, but I hope someone with real knowledge will speak up. I've been wondering that myself.

I think this is a downgrade personally. The factory 8.75" uses a tapered roller bearing, which has a lot more radial load carrying ability than a ball bearing while taking a good amount of thrust load as well. For those who do not know about how the adjuster works the Green brg is an easy way out, but the adjuster is not complicated if you know about it. Factory Ford intermediate cars (like my 71 Ranchero) use a ball bearing and I bet this is where they got the idea. Some later big Fords with the rear disc 9" rear use a tapered roller bearing like the 8.75" MoPar!

In theory they should work fine but in the long run I bet they will not hold up as well as the OEM tapered roller type. I will be sticking to the factory setup on all my cars.

That makes a ton of sense. Its also probably why I've heard so much about them not being for daily use.

I agree with MEEP, stick with the factory tapered Roller setup for a street machine.

Unless you road race your car regularly, the Green bearings will last as long as anything.

I have switched to the MO 400 "snap ring" bearings in all my cars, and couldn't be happier.

You can swap center sections for the strip without the time consuming end play adjustments, and if you ever need to replace one (I haven't in 10 years of high millage use), you can do it in a couple of minutes as opposed to HOURS + a trip to the machine shop for pressing the tapered ones on.

There is zero downside to going with the Greens. I don't know of any street production car in the last 20 years that uses the old tapered bearings.

I'm not saying that the tapereds are bad, just outdated and unnecessary nowadays.

I think this is a downgrade personally. The factory 8.75" uses a tapered roller bearing, which has a lot more radial load carrying ability than a ball bearing while taking a good amount of thrust load as well. For those who do not know about how the adjuster works the Green brg is an easy way out, but the adjuster is not complicated if you know about it. Factory Ford intermediate cars (like my 71 Ranchero) use a ball bearing and I bet this is where they got the idea. Some later big Fords with the rear disc 9" rear use a tapered roller bearing like the 8.75" MoPar!

In theory they should work fine but in the long run I bet they will not hold up as well as the OEM tapered roller type. I will be sticking to the factory setup on all my cars.

I Agree. :yes:

I went with the green bearings in my Charger driver for cost reasons at the time,
It is a 2.93 ratio 8.75. No excess weight other than me and the spare and the tool box.
8500 highway miles in 10 months and so far fine if that helps.

Just depends on what you are after. I don't know if I'd use them on my R/T though...

I use them in all my cars. My brother-inlaw put about 40k on his set. I just got a set today from summit.

Think its a personal choice.I had my 63 Fury for 10yrs,had 450hp,425tq.Granted a street car with 3.23 ratio but I wasn't easy on it and it's still fine with 18k on green bearings. Hope this helps.

Hope you don't mind a slight hijack;what brand OEM-style bearings are recommended? Definitely want an American made piece,and I need to acquire a set soon for my own rear axle.

Auto Transport Service
Back