• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8HP70 Shifter Mock Up

Stock or Hurst Shifter?

• Total voters

JORDINSKI

Local time
7:21 AM
Reaction score
Let me know what you guys think. I am trying to keep everything as stock as possible, keyword trying. Another option would be same setup with a Hurst shifter.

04B8E10C-FF5A-466B-AA2A-7B3758D8DBEC.jpeg

512AC057-393A-43CC-8A88-F5EAE4F16070.jpeg

I agree I think the Hurst instead of the stock one only because I don't like that the handle and the console would both have the "PRND" indications. Do they make any stock handles that don't have the letters on them?

I think I like the stock one better. It would definitely make people do a double take if they spot it. I wonder if it would look better with the factory "PRND21" blacked out.....or something ingenious scripted in there.

Why not use the factory shifter handle?

Not too shabby!

1. The stock shifter won't work, the 8HP uses an E-shifter module, not a cable connected to the shifter at one end and the trans at the other. It's like throttle-by-wire, but for the transmission.

2. I'd get a spare lens for the console, black it out, and get a decal made for your car's model, to look like a fender/pillar badge ("Charger", "Satellite", "Road Runner" - whatever). Or, get a trashed console, cut and section it, and eliminate the window altogether so the only opening is the slot for the shifter itself.

1. The stock shifter won't work, the 8HP uses an E-shifter module, not a cable connected to the shifter at one end and the trans at the other. It's like throttle-by-wire, but for the transmission.

2. I'd get a spare lens for the console, black it out, and get a decal made for your car's model, to look like a fender/pillar badge ("Charger", "Satellite", "Road Runner" - whatever). Or, get a trashed console, cut and section it, and eliminate the window altogether so the only opening is the slot for the shifter itself.

Triplegreen, have you done a swap with the 8HP70 trans? If yes, what shifter did you use?
I'm currently mocking up my car for a swap and I'm trying to acquire everything I need or at least make accommodations for them prior to starting any final body work.

Your options currently are either the stock challenger shifter setup in the picture below or the Durango style shifter knob. I will be using the challenger style on my Cuda swap and putting the knob style in the ashtray area on my roadrunner swap. Mainly because the roadrunner is a buddy seat car. I don’t have a picture of the Durango style for some reason and a friend of mine is 3d printing a plate to mount it in the ashtray area this week.

IMG_3555.jpeg

I have not done a swap. I'm familiar with the 8hp because I have one in my Grand Cherokee, that's all. Another option for shifter would be the later (2016 and later) grand Cherokee shifter, that actually moves to a gate like the old school shifters and doesn't bounce back to a center position like the one pictured does.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and guidance.

I have not done a swap. I'm familiar with the 8hp because I have one in my Grand Cherokee, that's all. Another option for shifter would be the later (2016 and later) grand Cherokee shifter, that actually moves to a gate like the old school shifters and doesn't bounce back to a center position like the one pictured does.
15+ chargers and Challenger do this as well. At least my 21 does

I guess they redesigned the shifter after "auto-park-gate"....need to see if it'll retrofit my 14. I hate that goofy bounce-back thing...

Auto Transport Service
Back