• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9 Month Wait For a Stock 440 Rebuild, and Then This

Well, that makes it even worse to me.
The guy said he would call you. He didn't.
He said he put in the wrong cam. He did.
He said he put in a certain cam. He didn't.
He has failed you.
What work was done?
What is really inside?
Is the quality there?
I don't trust it.

Last edited:
As a business owner, and a machine shop, I think the one question everyone seems to have missed is the fact that it was supposed to be a "Stock" rebuild. So, I have to ask the OP, was the price for the stock build quoted, and was that what was charged on what you picked up? Building an engine that was not requested by the owner is not proper business etiquette to me. The OP even said he was expecting to be called so that they could hammer out the details after initial cleaning and inspection...
THIS! Plus, I don't understand and have to ask.. What took so long to have the work done? I used to work at a couple of engine shops back in the 1980s. A complete and total rebuild, including dismantle and clean, crank grinding, boring, reworking the heads, rod and piston work, and complete re-assembly was usually about a three week process. Maybe a month if it was something old and parts had to be special ordered.

It's 3.23. The car is meant to be a cruiser. It's reasonably quiet and has AC, PW, PB and PS.
Hi 41, I need the 440 done in my 69 300, could you you tell me what to expect dollar wise. Thanks

So, what DID your machinist actually have to say on why he used the parts he installed? It appears you hadn't ever asked him to break it down for you. Some guys have secrets that no one understands, but they work! And some guys are just scary, so you don't dare piss'em off - no matter what. I would have at least given it one shot just because I'd want to know. But is that the 'shot' that actually got you the missing cam card story?
After sunset, pack up the wagons and leave town.

Pretty amazing that there are such strong opinions when all we have is nearly no details from only one side of the story.

Without actually being present for all of the communication exchanges, rendering any opinion is simply silly.

And, how is the motor not what the OP generally asked for?

Pretty amazing that there are such strong opinions when all we have is nearly no details from only one side of the story.

Without actually being present for all of the communication exchanges, rendering any opinion is simply silly.

Good Summary.

This isn't a court case. A couple of simple mistakes in documentation were made by the machine shop, but after some investigation, in the end all was good. The horse is dead.

.... Or is it?

Upon beginning assembly of the top end today I found that the lifter bore prep was completely missed, and the lifters cannot be installed, let alone having the correct clearance. But of course, that's just my side of the story! I'll be bringing along a documentary crew with a live feed for taking peanut galley questions when I return the short block tomorrow.

I'm with dusterkid entirely, and this is what I meant in my previous post by "leave town". OP's main question was "What would you do"? I also agree to a certain extent with BSB67. -- This machinist; friend of a friend? Knows much more about what's been done than you so you're better off trusting him? Worked with this guy on other projects? Just some of what might be many examples of what's not known. Doesn't seem like not getting back to him was intentional. We assume we got it straight from OP. We don't need to get it all.

I for one, choose to believe him and it appears that it's going back to him fairly straight from those who've replied. I believe what is said about the time it took, the cam he was told was installed, that he pulled the cam and that he asked to be notified. That's enough.

I also believe he did know just what he wanted at the start, but that maybe now he shouldn't be too picky. After all the only thing that really matters is; Really, do you have what you need and -- is it what you want?

And, well at least it's known now what cam he doesn't have! That being said, machine shops that are a little too busy might be a good thing. They're getting scarce. Checking machine shop work has always been required, that's not a big deal.

I dropped the original 440 for my 69 Charger off at the machine shop for a "stone stock rebuild" last summer. He was supposed to call me once the block was tanked and crank turned before we picked pistons and cam. Instead I got a call yesterday that it was done and ready for pickup. I was half excited that it was finally done, and half dreading what choices were made by the builder....

So the big question..... what would you do? My devil on my shoulder says go with the flow, and the angel says change the cam and stick to the plan.

Anyone have this cam in their 440?

This isn't a court case.

.... Or is it?

Upon beginning assembly of the top end today I found that the lifter bore prep was completely missed, and the lifters cannot be installed, let alone having the correct clearance. But of course, that's just my side of the story! I'll be bringing along a documentary crew with a live feed for taking peanut galley questions when I return the short block tomorrow.

I'm sticking with my judgement. You have no idea what you have.

I hope that you get some satifaction from the machine shop, stuff like this can be fustrating to say the least. Sounds to me like your on top of things so i'm sure you'll get the project back on track. I use a local engine builder that i've been real happy with but I do understand why so many people just buy crate motors.

That's a good cam, made 504HP with it on a 383- 439 stroker, with Edelbrock RPM heads.
I also ran that cam in another 440 that I didn't dyno, and it was probably one of the best street combos I've ever done.
that was matched by big valve 452 iron heads, six pack and OE manifolds.

Don't knock it, till you try it

That's a good cam, made 504HP with it on a 383- 439 stroker, with Edelbrock RPM heads.
I also ran that cam in another 440 that I didn't dyno, and it was probably one of the best street combos I've ever done.
that was matched by big valve 452 iron heads, six pack and OE manifolds.

Don't knock it, till you try it
Which one's a good cam? The 10230703 he was told was in it, or the 10230700 that is actually in it?

... I pulled the cam and it is not even what they said it was (10230703). It is 10230700... what Lunatti calls an improved HP, improved torque, ski-boat, towing cam. Specs are reasonably close to a stock 440 HP cam at:

208/213 @ .50, .454/.452 lift, 112 LSA, 0-5000 rpm range.

better the smaller cam then the bigger one. it is smaller then stock though be nice to have some thing in the middle 216-218 intake and 222-224 exhaust with 470-480 lift.

personally, I like the piston and cam (revised version) choice. Assuming that the machine work is sound this should be a nice 440 for the OP.

Auto Transport Service
Back