• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

906 heads vs 250

Bill Walak

Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a pair of “250” heads on a 383 engine that I just bought, are these similar to 906 heads? Should I swap them out for 906’s if I have the opportunity. I’m planning for pretty much a stock build on my ‘69 Super Bee

Thanks

Nothing a like, and I've never seen the 250 heads on anything from the factory but the 1968 2bbl 383. There is a reason the 250 was a one year only deal and then the factory went to the 906. If you have a choice, and your only choice is between the two, run the 906.

They’re not very common.
I’ve had two sets through the shop.
One set I know came off a low perf. 440 out of a wagon.

Basically, they are open chamber 516’s.

If the 250’s are “ready to run” and the 906’s are going to require a fairly significant investment to be able to use them....... on a mild 383, I’d just use the 250’s.
If they both need work, the 906’s are the better flowing heads...... so those are where I’d put the $$$.

Keep an eye on the costs........ you can easily get near the price of some Stealths refurbishing the old factory iron.

Auto Transport Service
Back