• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor stops when accelerating.

satellite400

Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
Hello mopar folks!

I have a very annoying problem with my car.
it's a satellite 66 with a 400 motor, 906 heads, purple cam, holley 750dp, yada yada...

when I picked up the car after it had been sitting over the winter, it doesn't run well at all. on acceleration/kickdown the engine wants to stop. It starts again as soon as you ease off the pedal.

I have replaced the following parts without success;
tested 3 different carburetors.
spark plugs, ignition cables, ignition box, distributor. Fuel filter, fuel hoses.

I am stuck! please help me

Last edited:
edit: I went back and read, then realized my comprehension needs work

Check vacuum. Sitting for a while can affect gaskets and rubber hoses

Check the fuel pressure when the problem is occurring.

Possible fuel pump pushrod failure.

Could also be the pick-up in the tank is plugged.

Bump the initial timing up to around 12 and see if that helps. Pretty sure you need more timing.

Check the fuel pressure when the problem is occurring.

Possible fuel pump pushrod failure.

Could also be the pick-up in the tank is plugged.
Also, check if you have the accelerator pump squirting.

If none of the suggestions above work, check your ignition wiring circuit, especially at the bulkhead connector. Mine got corroded and started burning the wire under the dash on the backside of the bulkhead. The engine would start and run fine, but cut out under hard acceleration. It wouldn't really rev above about 3000 rpm under load. The stumble would go away when I lifted off the gas.

After chasing many of the ideas above, I finally figured it out by running a wire from the battery to the + coil, powering the coil and points directly and bypassing the ignition wiring. Car would run fine and accelerate normally this way so then I started working backward from the coil through the ignition circuit and found corroded, burnt wires at the bulkhead. Don't drive a lot with the hot wire directly to the coil or you'll burn up your points.

Auto Transport Service
Back