• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 833 debate

Cornpatch MO

Local time
9:13 PM
Reaction score
How much power-torque can a stock 23 spline in good condition be able to handle in a street car?
What makes an 18 spline a better tranny than the 23 spline?.....................................MO

dont how much the 23 can take but mine has been taking 425 for ten years. 18 have different internals and large inboard bearing etainer and bearing at imput shaft.

Its more a question of how well it hooks. 23 spline can be behind a street engine making 500+ horse, but, with drag slicks is completely different.

A buddy of mine had a 23 spline in a 454, 55 chevy drag car and he wheelied it off the line and had no problems. I later ran that transmission in a street car i owned.

I had one behind a 493 stroker with 295/50's out back. No probs.

I used a 23 spline cast iron OD trans behind a 400hp 383 for 3 years and banged it hard and it took all I could ever give it with no problems.

Its more a question of how well it hooks. 23 spline can be behind a street engine making 500+ horse, but, with drag slicks is completely different.

Yep. Your tires are the fuse.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to know the answer to that question you ask the guys running Jericos behind the hemi in the SS Dart or Barracuda. They know exactly where that line is. That info is based on a 18 spline so back off from there for the 23 spline.

The factory decided to use the 18 spline in all 440's and hemi cars that had the appropriate option box checked, so perhaps they knew something. On the other hand the early Max Wedge cars ran basically truck 3 speeds with the ball and trunion joint. That might set the bar at 11 - 12 seconds in a 3600 lb car.

Yep. Your tires are the fuse.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to know the answer to that question you ask the guys running Jericos behind the hemi in the SS Dart or Barracuda. They know exactly where that line is. That info is based on a 18 spline so back off from there for the 23 spline.

The factory decided to use the 18 spline in all 440's and hemi cars that had the appropriate option box checked, so perhaps they knew something. On the other hand the early Max Wedge cars ran basically truck 3 speeds with the ball and trunion joint. That might set the bar at 11 - 12 seconds in a 3600 lb car.
Mopar factory tended to build things a little heavier duty than just what was needed. I don't think you could break a 4 speed tranny IF you didn't change things from Bone stock. They had to warrantee what they sold. But you know us guys, big cam-big slicks- big induction- big gears, etc-etc. When I ordered my new 1968 Roadrunner, my dealer would not let me have anything lower than a 3:23 ratio !!!.................................MO

We started trashing Hemi boxes once we hit high 10's in a 2300 lb car launching at 6k!

Cranky makes my point exactly! He found that line. Sure the factory wanted to make stuff strong enough to make it through warranty, but there is a limit. You asked where is that limit.

What makes an 18 spline stronger than the 23 spline is the larger diameter input shaft and the coarse pitched gears. The basic strength of the tranny comes from the spacing of the input center line and the cluster CL, which is common to both the 18 and 23 versions.

My thought was: A lot of guys think you just have to have an 18 spline A833 or you just ain't doing it right. 8-) 64 Dodge I am building has a slightly warmed 440, 23 spline A833, 10 1/2" centerforce, 742 with 3:55 gears. On occasion, it will see the drag strip with 9" slicks launching at about 3-3500 RPM. I think my tranny and clutch will be OK. Thanks all for the input...........................MO

My thought was: A lot of guys think you just have to have an 18 spline A833 or you just ain't doing it right. 8-) 64 Dodge I am building has a slightly warmed 440, 23 spline A833, 10 1/2" centerforce, 742 with 3:55 gears. On occasion, it will see the drag strip with 9" slicks launching at about 3-3500 RPM. I think my tranny and clutch will be OK. Thanks all for the input...........................MO

I have a small block Challenger that runs 12.50@110. Over 100 passes with slicks. No problem with the trans. I'm using a Centerforce clutch. The axle shafts have twisted the splines on the 8 3/4.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back