• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-body Transmission.

69charger

Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
If I got an A-body tranny from a Dodge Dart GTS 383 could I just swap out the tailshaft for a b-body one and put it in my Charger?

A body 4 speeds are shorter for sure, but are the autos? It would make sense if they were shorter, but I don't recall seeing a short tail auto.

then again, I'm sure I've seen things that I'm pretty sure don't really exist:edgy:

I can find part numbers for automatic trans back to 1964 but can't find the differences between the A and B bodies. The part numbers for the Dart 3834bbl is 2892031 and the B body trans part number is 2801541. There is no where in writing if there is a different length tailshaft. I tried, hope you get the info or find one on the street and measure it.

would it be reasonable to buy a new maincase and tailshaft?
or should I just keep looking for a B-Body 4 speed?

ok 4 speeds i thought 727s weere all the same for bbs except truck short shafts

If you really wanted to change the rear housing and tailshaft, I have a couple of B/E body tail housings and a couple of output shafts. But you'll have to pull all the gears off the output shaft and rebuild them on to the other one. And this won't work if it turns out the "A" body trans you have is actually an OD and not a 4 speed.

If you went to FABO and listed it as wanting to trade for a bbody 4speed, I'm sure you would find someone to make a deal with. I would trade you myself, except I only have one bbody trans left, and will need it later.

That's my problem. I still have 2 B's and 2 A's, one of which I want a 4 speed for. You wouldn't happen to have an aluminum cased A/F body OD 4 speed to trade for the tail housing and output shaft you need...wouldya????

Auto Transport Service
Back