• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Bogus Daytona

91486453_10213360695211143_842372176282648576_n.jpg

The window glass does not appear to be tinted. Wouldn't a factory a/c car come with tinted windows?
My Charger has tinted glass. I’m not a big fan as they appear green. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Daytona with a tinted backlight.

There was an orange with black interior Daytona in the Lansdale Pa. area back in 1982. It was pretty rusty and dented up then. I never got to talk to the owner. I was told it was a black guy and the car wasn’t for sale. I do remember the VIN started with XX. I wonder what ever happened to it.

If I remember correctly the Dana 60 rear axle was standard on all Superbirds that is why AC wasn't available. The Charger Daytona automatic transmission equipped cars had 8 3/4 axles so AC was available.
What I’ve read says that Daytonas were available with all Charger options, whereas Superbird options were very limited, even down to the colors.

The window glass does not appear to be tinted. Wouldn't a factory a/c car come with tinted windows?
AC and tint are separate options. I’ve had two ac Mopars without tinted glass. ‘68 SS convert and a ‘68 300 convert.

What I’ve read says that Daytonas were available with all Charger options, whereas Superbird options were very limited, even down to the colors.
I know they did extensive testing on airflow through the nose to determine optimum cooling. To the best of my recollection AC was nixed on the Daytona and later the Superbird after it was determined that the AC condenser would excessively block airflow to the radiator.
Some of the cooling test documents are on WW/NBOA site.
I’m waiting for verification on the AC issue itself from DSAC.

*Update
Reply from DSAC:
“I have never heard of a Daytona with AC, unless it was added. Something doesn't seem right.”

Last edited:
As per the vin tag what did that say I have A-69 charger 500 that on the data tag on the Fender says XS 29 the vin number on the dash says xx 29 so it's very possible it's correct but without the dash vin code or the fender or trunk lip I should say and the core support numbers that will be determined if it is a correct looking at the outside of this vehicle it has been Hodge podged on parts what base car to me looks like a original Daytona further inspection needed

As per the vin tag what did that say I have A-69 charger 500 that on the data tag on the Fender says XS 29 the vin number on the dash says xx 29 so it's very possible it's correct but without the dash vin code or the fender or trunk lip I should say and the core support numbers that will be determined if it is a correct looking at the outside of this vehicle it has been Hodge podged on parts what base car to me looks like a original Daytona further inspection needed
According to the DSAC the XX/XS fender tag vs dash VIN has been seen on ‘69 Charger 500 models but not Daytona’s.
Although I seem to recall 1 or 2 Daytona’s that did have XS on the dash VIN.
There was no fender tag and the dash VIN was covered up.
A photo of the dash face would determine if the AC was dealer installed.

This IS a real Daytona. The AC was added by the dealer, I know this car very well and two of my friends have owned it in the past. The full vin is XX29L9B383270. It’s a known Daytona. Yes one of the previous owners made some modifications to it like A/C, the 68 side markers, and some other stuff.

According to the DSAC the XX/XS fender tag vs dash VIN has been seen on ‘69 Charger 500 models but not Daytona’s.
Although I seem to recall 1 or 2 Daytona’s that did have XS on the dash VIN.
There was no fender tag and the dash VIN was covered up.
A photo of the dash face would determine if the AC was dealer installed.
Dash face photo:

77C5CA68-90CF-4AE2-9A47-F7313A9A9DF5.jpeg

Documented dealer installed AC in a Superbird(column shift automatic).
Will this fit in a console shift car?
I don’t see how it can, or did they have a different setup for console cars...Experts?
Can you post a photo of the dash VIN?
Fender Tag? Trunk lip stamp?

9774FB2D-00A4-40AE-A4DD-0FCD63225565.jpeg

F85292BA-F6F6-4209-9E28-3BCD0728325E.jpeg

Why is a car that was sent out to an aftermarket shop to be modified correct but one you do yourself is not? Just curious.You can never actually claim that a winged car is factory.

Why is a car that was sent out to an aftermarket shop to be modified correct but one you do yourself is not? Just curious.You can never actually claim that a winged car is factory.
Eh...you’re kidding, right?

Documented dealer installed AC in a Superbird(column shift automatic).
Will this fit in a console shift car?
I don’t see how it can, or did they have a different setup for console cars...Experts?
Can you post a photo of the dash VIN?
Fender Tag? Trunk lip stamp?

View attachment 1347854

View attachment 1347855
Here, a picture of the vin plate, it clearly says XX29

8D41E75D-38FE-4C33-91EB-515C8D829D0B.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back