• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A great option for LED bulbs in taillights.

This info was originally from a Cobra Replica manufacturer who promoted them as a painless swap for 1157 tail light bulbs for better visibility. Like a lot of older cars the Cobra lights have had problems with LEDs and flashers. I’ve managed by hook or crook to get some form of LEDs in the tail lights of my old cars including my GTX, with the exception of my 66 Satellite. Despite a drawer full of various types none worked in the tail lights of the Satellite and I also tried a HD solid state flasher too, which was of no help. So I bought a pair from Amazon and stuck them in this morning and they worked great. They are a red LED so not only are they bright but they are bright red too. One thing noticed is they are substantial in heft - definitely not a cheesy piece of cheap plastic and LED lights stuck in a 1157 base.

Amazon product ASIN B01A77TV4Q
These require a flasher change ??

Other LEDs I tried in the rear of my 66 would not work, even with a new solid state HD flasher. These do work. I wouldn’t dare claim they will work with any flasher but they are looking pretty good from my experience so far. If anyone tries a pair and has problems I hope they will report that immediately.

Another option -
LEDs may not have the same output pattern to reflect off the taillight housing, so the lens-fill might not be the same. Might have hot-spots.
The Sylvanias look like they might be that way, the 2nd one posted looks like it would do better.
You won't know until you try them.

For those not wanting LED lights, here's a posting I did on some slightly-brighter incandescents to replace 1157s.

'guaranteed' upgrade for rear 1157 light bulbs

It looks like my original posting had some issue with the attachment such that while it looked OK on my end, it wasn't coming through on some (or anyone else’s) computers. JR Charger & gkent - sorry for the less than helpful initial responses above. My bad.
I bought LED’s for my 77 Cordoba from Auto Zone and they work awesome. Used them front and rear, also in the interior door lites, they won’t melt the covers.

This info was originally from a Cobra Replica manufacturer who promoted them as a painless swap for 1157 tail light bulbs for better visibility. Like a lot of older cars the Cobra lights have had problems with LEDs and flashers. I’ve managed by hook or crook to get some form of LEDs in the tail lights of my old cars including my GTX, with the exception of my 66 Satellite. Despite a drawer full of various types none worked in the tail lights of the Satellite and I also tried a HD solid state flasher too, which was of no help. So I bought a pair from Amazon and stuck them in this morning and they worked great. They are a red LED so not only are they bright but they are bright red too. One thing noticed is they are substantial in heft - definitely not a cheesy piece of cheap plastic and LED lights stuck in a 1157 base.

Amazon product ASIN B01A77TV4Q
Last week I bought the same 1157 in white, I'm happy. They offer the bulbs in two light outputs, now I have to go look to see which I bought. I definitely want the bright version in a 1156 for BU lights, and then I have to track down amber? version of any output for front TS.
I agree, they seem to be the best design optically and not a bulb lust pieced together, and they ain't cheap.

I just put a couple in the 73 Road Runner. I used Standard products flasher EFL1, worked great. I did have an issue, could not get the bulb to turn in the socket. The white housing was hitting on the plastic around the bulb housing. Had to slightly bevel the edge, I used the die grinder not the box cutter in the picture.

100_0009.JPG

This picture is with both the lenses out, led and old bulb. Probably should have put them in and taken a picture, would have been a better comparison.
100_0008.JPG

Hey Fran how did these LEDs work out? Did you have to change your flasher? Thanks Dave
Flasher is on my desk, waiting for Mr. procrastinator to go look under dash and find flasher.

Just a side note . . .

when you change to LED bulbs, since they have a much smaller current draw, your flashers might no longer work properly ! !
By the way . . . this could also cause the turn signals to not flash too ( probably just light and stay on )

Simple solution . . .

look for an Electronic Flasher to replace the original stock flasher and they will work. ( kinda important too )

Auto Transport Service
Back