• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A12 black out behind grill

pro-streeter

Local time
8:35 PM
Reaction score
I need your help.
Did A12 receive the black out behind the grill?
If so I need photos of this area to determine where it starts and ends.

Yes like any B-body unless you have a black car. This is how I did mine
DSCN3075.JPG

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that F8 and B7 didn't get it either.

Did not do the black out on my RM21. Figured I spent so much time and money to paint the car and you really don't notice it. No one has said to me you did not do the black out. So think it is up to the owner. I am not saying to do it or not just me. My mopar B body book show's what get's blacked out. It is a good book to have but dose not go into every thing on these car's. Like they show a charger insted of the runner. That was a let down to me. Each to his or her owne.

Richard Ehrenberg says all cars but Black and Dark Blue. They missed my original paint QQ1 Electric Blue wagon when it went down the line at Lynch Rd.
F83D2F9A-A121-455A-8894-4C2DBC0E9D88.jpeg
F5F9D95B-2B89-4598-AF8A-111172EB6050.jpeg
4EF0F516-4019-48D8-BB3D-4C4B672AA3CA.jpeg

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that F8 and B7 didn't get it either.

My F8 ‘70 V code Charger got it. Like all ‘70 Chargers, built at St. Louis South.

Dark colours, tx9, maybe Jamaica blue, maybe another I’m overlooking didn’t get it. Might have been hit and miss depending on qaqc and how lazy the line worker was. I have a Q5 car and it was done.

Depending on your restoration and application (ie: what you’re going for) you may find it easier to black out the whole front end, taping and masking wise. At the factory they weren’t very mindful about things like overspray etc, whereas you may be, especially if just cost you an arm and a leg.

I also have a yellow car where that colour sticks out like a sore thumb so I did it all behind the grill and in front of the rad

My a12 is Bahama yellow, so it got the blackout, of course. My best friend's B7 70 challenger A66 also definitely got the blackout. Los Angeles built, I believe.

Do it right and block it out regardless of body color. We have had discussions on FABO about it and there were TX9 cars with the paint. It was like thinned undercoating shot through a "weed sprayer" type wand from a pit under the assembly line. Depending on who was working, all cars got it or most got it depending who was doing the work. The overspray shows on the undersides of the surfaces.

Do it right and block it out regardless of body color. We have had discussions on FABO about it and there were TX9 cars with the paint. It was like thinned undercoating shot through a "weed sprayer" type wand from a pit under the assembly line. Depending on who was working, all cars got it or most got it depending who was doing the work. The overspray shows on the undersides of the surfaces.

Interesting, if they did tx9 cars it was likely because factory finish was glossy and they wanted to flatten it out. Makes sense.

Interesting, if they did tx9 cars it was likely because factory finish was glossy and they wanted to flatten it out. Makes sense.
I think it wasn't on purpose. Spraying in the pit was probably one step above the janitorial staff that cleaned the toilets. LOL
I have heard many of the workers at the Hamtramck plant were stoned most of the time. Red car, blue car, 10 green cars (lol)black car, white car. Some got painted and may be all got painted. No rhyme or reason.

Described as "paint of fluid deadener" (thinned undercoat or sound deadener)

Radiator Support Black Out.jpg Radiator Support Black Out.jpg2.jpeg

I like trim and bumper black, the black out gives the grill definition , my opinion seeing the body color behind the grill just looks sloppy

I like trim and bumper black, the black out gives the grill definition , my opinion seeing the body color behind the grill just looks sloppy
Exactly

mopp_1004_13_o+1967_plymouth_valiant+comparison_2.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back