• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A518 into a '68 383 Satellite

dbc105

Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
I need a regular MOPAR Trans guy. I have an A518 out of a '94 360 pickup I am going to build and put in my car. Plan to use a JW Ultra Shield so it will just bolt in. this is not a race app, just a personal daily driver. My question is about the convertor. What I have found is that Mother Chrysler had 3 convertors for this trans, a low stall, a medium stall and a high stall. My guess is the high stall was from behind a HP 360 in a pickup. The one I have I don't think is high stall because the truck mine came from was not a HP. That leaves me with what was the stall on the high stall convertor behind the HP 360? I figure my 383 should be similar om power to the 360 and hopefully a good match for my car. I don't want much stall, just a little, something similar to the original '68 Road Runner. I think they called that a Hemi Convertor at the time of course that may well have been in name only. I am putting 3.73 posi in the rear. I know someone will ask about the cam and I'm thinking that Comp Cams Magnum Muscle, just something close to the old cam in my Roadrunner. Can anyone tell me the stall of the stock high stall and how well they work and lockup?

You mention..."Bolt right in".
Uhhh, Not exactly. Sure, the transmission will bolt up to the engine with the JW bell, but as far as actually fitting your car? You will need to cut the floor, the torsion bar crossmember and make your own bolt in crossmember to support the trans.
The guys that do not cut the floor end up with the trans output angle too low. This gives you terrible drive line vibrations.
It sucks to hear it but it is better to know what troubles lie ahead!

Thanks Kern but I knew that I will have to mod the cross member, shaft, floor and linkage mount. I was just referring to the engine bolt up and not having to space the flex plate to match an adapter.

What I need to know about is the stall speeds.

Don't use an oe converter. Spend the bucks and get an aftermarket one from like Pro Torque, Hughes etc. Stock ones have too many issues not lasting and taking the trans with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back