• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 transmission fluid to use

Drunner

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm trying to find the best manual transmission fluid to run in my A833 4 speed trans. On a 71 RR, 383.

When I drained the fluid it looked like atf was being used.

thanks

In my 72 Dodge Service Manual. Dextron Chrysler Automatic fluid or equivlant. If objectional gear rattle at idle speed is apparent factory fill fluid may be drained and the transmission filled with Multi Purpose Gear Lubricant SAE 140.

I personally run sae 140. However, I have two different service manuals which vary a bit from each other. 1968 manual says to use sae140 except if the wheather gets cold and shifting becomes difficult. Then use Dexron ATF but to change back when the tempurature warms back up. The 1971 manual says similar to the reply by Coronet 14s except that in the repair of the transmission section of the book it says to use Dexron except in California, in which to use sae140. Since I am in Calif. I do use the 140.

If your in the tundra region you may need to use atf.

I like Pennzoil Syncromesh, but I live in Ca. which doesn't get all that cold.

I have done a fair amount more searching and think I will try redline MT90 75w90 for manual transmissions. Jay Leno recommended on his website so if there is a problem I will sue him...kidding of course.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just changed mine and went with the factory recommended 140. Lots of gear clash until it warms up. It's gotta come out. I'm either going to go with a 90W or MT-90 75W90. It is about the only multi-grade I can find in a GL4 rating (everything else is GL5), but that stuff is pretty expensive.

Last edited:
In my 72 Dodge Service Manual. Dextron Chrysler Automatic fluid or equivlant. If objectional gear rattle at idle speed is apparent factory fill fluid may be drained and the transmission filled with Multi Purpose Gear Lubricant SAE 140.

Thanks Ranger16 for reviving this tread. Has anyone had this "gear rattle at idle"? I just had my trans rebuilt and they filled it with ATF and now I have a rattle noise at idle, wonder if that's what it is?

I honestly have no idea why a gear box would use ATF.
My understanding is that ATF has friction characteristics. That be different according to the kind it is.
I don't want friction in my gear box.
But now that you mention it, I think I had a 79 Civic that used ATF in the gear box.
I think.

in my 63 I use 90 weight and have for years no problems

Went to 4 stores before I found this at Napa. GL4 is getting hard to find.

Sta-Lube SL24239 API/GL-4 Multi-Purpose Hypoid Gear Oil

NWMDC

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just changed mine and went with the factory recommended 140. Lots of gear clash until it warms up. It's gotta come out.

Surprised you would get actual gear clash are you sure your synchros are OK?

I just drained the 140 and installed the 85W90. Much better. Still has a slight 1st to 2nd clash when cold, but it has since I bought it in Dec. '14 and I do suspect some synchro wear, but the 140 exaggerated it AND brought it out in 3rd & 4th. That's gone now. For future reference, I'd say go with a 90 or 85W90.

This thread is interesting, unlike others I've read the clear majority is to NOT use ATF in the 833. I called Brewers yesterday and asked them, they said that even though Chrysler had recommended ATF in some cases they would never use it. Inadequate viscosity and they did confirm it can cause the gears to rattle. They recommend and sell the Sta-Lube GL-4 85W90 as the best choice. Because of the yellow metals used in the older transmissions no GL-5 lubes should be used. I've ordered a gallon of the Sta-Lube and will change my fluid out.

This thread is interesting, unlike others I've read the clear majority is to NOT use ATF in the 833. I called Brewers yesterday and asked them, they said that even though Chrysler had recommended ATF in some cases they would never use it. Inadequate viscosity and they did confirm it can cause the gears to rattle. They recommend and sell the Sta-Lube GL-4 85W90 as the best choice. Because of the yellow metals used in the older transmissions no GL-5 lubes should be used. I've ordered a gallon of the Sta-Lube and will change my fluid out.
I run what the professionals at Brewers recommend as well.....for years and no problems....
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GL4SL

Just changed the ATF in my trans over to 85W-90,now it shifts much smoother and runs quieter!

Auto Transport Service
Back