• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

About to buy a TTI Exhaust system for my 68 Dodge Coronet.

fmontez1

Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
It's a 318/904 car, transmission by Bob Mazzolini.
1968 Dodge coronet 500, exhaust is about the last thing mechanical thing left to do after about 4 months of work. Still needs body work and interior.

Before I drop about 700 bucks on an exhaust, I thought I'd talk to you guys and see if there was anything I should know.

Is TTI worth the money? They look awesome and my mechanic recommended them, but I wanted to ask you all here.

What's the difference between the X and H pipe? Is it just the looks? It looks cool, and if the header adapters aren't that much I may just spring the extra 70 bucks and do it.

I have a set of brand new Flowtech headers in there, will I need to spend a lot more to hook them up to the TTI? Should I just get Flowtech to match the headers?

I have no personal preference, I'm just trying to go for a reliable streetable car. I want to take her out to cruise nights, and maybe the drag strip just to see what she does, but nothing serious.

Hope that's enough info.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Here's an album with a bunch of pics of the car, and some random stuff from working on it. Bonus Hemi car and Turbocharged Jeep in there too!
http://imgur.com/a/UlaFY#0

More on those later.

- Fred.

The TTI exhaust is really nice and fits well the quality is excellent made in the USA. I also have a 68 coronet that I installed the whole system on Headers and exhaust with a x pipe. I recommend the x pipe not only for performance but it will allow you to rotate and adjust the flanges when installing, much easier. Hooking up to your Flowtech headers will be the challenge. If they make header adapters get them and save yourself some headache otherwise you will have to get a exhaust shop to mate them.

As I was told, the folks at TTI are MOPAR folks. The fit of the headers is as good as it gets for b-bodies. I remember years ago when I put headers on my first GTX, I bought a set of Doug headers and had to beat the livin' stuff out of them to fit. Not to mention they hung down too low. No clearance issues, but you could see them hanging down.

The TTI's that are on our current GTX went in with only one minor tweak. They are tucked up nicely and they look good too! Next will be the rest of the exhaust from TTI. What's there now is just a put together hack.

Jeff

Awesome. Thanks guys.

Also, when I went to order, they referred me to Mazzolini racing, which is where I bought my transmission, and also a Mopar friendly establishment. This made my decision easy. Keep the money in the family, IMHO.

Calling now to order. Thanks for the opinions!

- Fred.

My $.02. Regardless of the brand, the H-Pipe is better than the X (Sorry Jasoncoronet). The whole 'H' system goes together easier, you can drop just one side if needed, and on these older motors the performance gains are proven (although minor) to be better.

I'm probably too late, but Dave and Chris at ModernMusclePerformance.com gave me a better deal (by $150!) for my complete TTi system.

One more thing I forgot to mention is to throw the TTI clamps in the trash and get Accuseal clamps. They dont crush the pipe when they seal and they are 100% removable. The TTI clamps crush the pipe and can make it very difficult for future removal. As for the H pipe and X pipe the X is a superior design it simply makes more power. Trust me the articulation that you get from the X pipe because of the slip fittings allows for a easier install.

Anyhow good luck buddy.

Just ordered my 3" TTI H-Pipe Exhaust from ModernMuscle....Spoke with Chris. Real nice fella. Thanks for the lead Dako! As far as X pipe vs. H, that's a whole debate in itself there. Google it if you want to see countless hours of arguing and dynoing back and forth..lol I prefer H-Pipes myself for sound and power. To each there own.

My $.02. Regardless of the brand, the H-Pipe is better than the X (Sorry Jasoncoronet). The whole 'H' system goes together easier, you can drop just one side if needed, and on these older motors the performance gains are proven (although minor) to be better.

I'm probably too late, but Dave and Chris at ModernMusclePerformance.com gave me a better deal (by $150!) for my complete TTi system.

Turned out to be $578 for the exhaust 2.5", headers back. Sound about right?

I would buy TTI headers and order a Pypes exhaust. Pypes is 300.00 with Mufflers and made from stainless steel with a cross over. The only one who knows is your pocket.

Don't buy directly from TTI. Use a vendor who supports a forum like this or Moparts. I checked the temperature on a friends headers and then mine at full warm up. The TTI's with the ceramic coating were a full 100 degrees cooler. 208 vs 308 IIR.

Don't buy directly from TTI. Use a vendor who supports a forum like this or Moparts. I checked the temperature on a friends headers and then mine at full warm up. The TTI's with the ceramic coating were a full 100 degrees cooler. 208 vs 308 IIR.

Just FYI, I called, and apparently you can't buy direct from TTI, you always need to go through a distributor. I went through Bob Mazzolini, I don;t know if he supports this site, but he's a SoCal Mopar head that I've known forever, and he can have my business anyday.

One reason, for example, was that it was gonna be about 75 bucks for shipping. Mazzolini's shop offered to go get it for me, and hold it at the shop so I could pick it up on the weekend. THAT's customer service, something Vato Zone could use a schooling in.

Anyway, exhaust is on it's way, thanks for all the opinions. Some of you guys missed the fact that I already have brand new ceramic coated headers in the car, but it's cool, I got plenty of info on here. Much appreciated.

- Fred.

Auto Transport Service
Back