• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC compressor orientation

69 GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
So I always thought the compressor needed to be installed with the fittings pointed up. Is this not true? I saw a couple guys with them pointed at 9 o'clock.
Your thoughts?
compressor.jpg

If I can do this it will give me more clearance that I need for the A12 base.

I’m thinking the only real worry is that the oil reservoir needs to be at lowest point? Otherwise oil would seep in to the lines too much & leave interior too dry on startup?

This is mine

AC3.jpg

Yes, that's how I have mine currently mocked up. But I'm having clearance issues with the A12 aircleaner base. I thought if there wasn't any bad side affects I'd turn it 90 degrees. I saw 3 cars that had done that at the car show.

I bought the Sanden with the fittings off the rear cover and used 90 degree bent lines. I have an Air Grabber I am trying to work around.

You can get different ends for the Sanden 508 compressor, just find one that suits your needs.

I bought the Sanden with the fittings off the rear cover and used 90 degree bent lines. I have an Air Grabber I am trying to work around.

Contact Bouchillon performance. Randy has the ends and he has a kit that works with the air grabber if my memory is correct

Mine isn't a air grabber, it's a A12 base. It's much bigger. I already have the 90 degree bent fittings, but still have interference.
IMG_20170430_121850662.jpg

I'm wondering if I can take the rear plate off and rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise.

Heckuva good question. Personally haven’t torn off a Sanden rear cover for so long I can’t remember. That was where my comment about oil crankcase came from.

Yes you can. The end caps also come in different set ups.

thanks 5.7! Where would be a good place to look for them?

Hi,just thought I'd give you a look at my last projects AC setup. Even though it's on my 71 Challenger, it would look just the same in my Charger. Everything under the dash is old school but under the hood I just acquired all of the items to create the AC system. Most all of my car projects are done on tight budget. Here in Arizona with the temperature well over 105 degrees, I get a little under 50 degree at highway speeds.

I really like the way some of you have mounted your AC pumps. They look very nice.

AZMoparboy

image.jpeg image.jpeg

you don't have to have them pointing up as 5.7 says you can get different fittings and if you are worried about the oil put a hump in the line by the fenderwheel. azmoparboy thats a sweet look clean and detailed.

Auto Transport Service
Back