Adjustable Proportioning Valve Install

Brakes, Steering & Suspension

1. 1968rt

1968rt Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:58 PM
    Can you install an adjustable proportioning valve towards the rear of the car before the axle? Ive heard when mounted in front, the brake light tends to come on. Also I would like to hide it.

2. 493 Mike

493 Mike FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Sure. The master cylinder doesn't know where your placed it. The brake lights in most of our cars are actuated by a mechanical switch near the brake pedal so, once again, the brake light switch doesn't know where the P. valve is located.
    Mike

• Agree Agree x 4
    • 1968rt

1968rt Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Im sorry I didnt clarify. I meant the dash brake light comes on. I heard the proportion valve installed up front affects the switch at the block.

• Sixpactogo

Sixpactogo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      9:58 PM
      The dash light should only light up when there is an imbalance between the front and rear brakes. It tells you that there is an issue in the proportioning valve. If you relocate it towards the rear, you will have to lengthen the wire between the valve and light. As Mike said, The system really don't care where you mount it.

• 4mulas

4mulas Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      8:58 PM
      I’d want to keep debris out of the valve and adjustment knob etc. Not as easily adjusted if you have to stop and Jack up your car and crawl under it to make a change? Unless maybe you put it in the trunk, that might be cool.

Your brake light shouldn’t come on unless you have a complete loss in pressure regardless of where you put it.

• Sixpactogo

Local Time:
      Not so. It will tell you of an imbalance in pressure. Such as possibly one of your rear cylinders leaking. It warns you that something needs attention.

• 4mulas

4mulas Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      8:58 PM
      I’ve used them and I have to disagree.. there is no way it could check an imbalance of pressure of a wheel cylinder side to side, especially the rear as there is one line that feeds both. It would read as lower pressure on the one main line that feeds both.

• Sixpactogo

Local Time:
      It does not look for an imbalance between side to side cylinders. Only front to rear. The switch monitors pressure between the front and rear brakes and when there is an imbalance caused by a leak. If you have drum brakes all around, you have a distribution block instead of a proportioning valve but it has the same imbalance switch. It only turns the light on when the switch moves off of center to one end or the other. When that happens, it sends a path to ground and turns the light on telling you there is a problem with either your front brakes or the rear brakes. If you look at the make-up of either the proportioning valve or the distribution block you will see what I mean.
      The adjustable proportioning valve only adjusts pressure between the front and rear brakes.

• mopar jack

mopar jack Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      7:58 PM
      Have mine located under car at drivers seat for easy in car adjustment. No problems with any brake lights and not noticeable with carpet pulled over and door closed.

20201221_094318.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • tallhair

tallhair Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly Staff Member

Local Time:

Nifty idea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.