• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for all you car people!

^^^^^^YES ! Why debate if you ask a question.
UNLESS you are un-clear with the answer that is given.

Another thing to add is: some people are just hoping to receive the answer that they want to hear. Life doesn’t always work that way.
It’s like the advice I once received from a friend on raising my teenager. My whole family vibe is about truth, honesty, and integrity. My friend pointed out that if I didn’t want to hear the honest answers that my then teenage daughter was giving, then I shouldn’t ask the question.
Same thing applies here.

Good points KD!
Also, before replying/offering the 'fix' make sure someone else hasn't posted it already. Sometimes a question will get 4 or more of the same answer
...read the post...
I have often wanted to contribute but when I get to the bottom of the page it is NOT the last page of the thread and find the answer posted later in the pages.
I also heartily agree that the SEARCH feature is invaluable and 'EXHAUST' my investigation(s) with it before asking a question.
But then again I've been called a super-user, whatever that is...
22408D1A-BC19-48C6-BBCA-0A8199C6412C.png

Not sure what you mean.
My first point was that if a person wants help, they need to make it easy.
Help me help you.

I just try to accept people and not give them a hard time because of semantics and grammar. The height of ignorance is not knowing you dont know. That said, everybody starts somewhere so if you are truly helping someone set your ego aside and avoid taking the stance that a question is below you because of how it is formed. Many of us have of years of experience under our belts and are quite serious. Others are new and just gettting thier feet wet. Sometimes as the teacher you have to make sure you are getting the right answers by asking the right questions. It's called tech support not "ask me and I will respond by telling you I am too intelligent to answer your questions". I guess it comes down to leadership styles and what drives you. Background also projects in these situations.

I would take a good look at myself if I were in those shoes.

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62467

As I mull over the original post a few other things come to mind.
Someone mentioned grammar and semantics. Not all of us are university level English scholars. I certainly am not. But VERY basic grammar and spelling is important to keep our civilization from gradually sounding stupider and stupider. Watch pretty much any interview with a rapper or NFL star to see what I mean. Most devices today make spelling and grammar suggestions. Please use them. My pet peeve? “I seen one just like it”.
The opposite of this are the grammar and spelling police. We know it’s a sure grip and not a posi. Nobody gives a ****. Get over it. When I go to the nurse and ask for an aspirin I’m asking for a generic over the counter pain pill. I don’t care if all she has is Advil.
It’s not always about you. If you can’t type a sentence, or even a paragraph without constantly using the word “I” then you may need to rethink things. Same if you can’t read posts without thinking about how they all apply to you specifically.
I’m starting to drift away from topic here. I may delete this later.

I will jump in here; I completely agree with what has already been posted but I would add this for those who want to help;

- telling someone to check the FSM is not an answer unless it is something that is a "step by step" simple thing and the FSM is as good instruction as you are going to find. The only time I personally tell people to refer to the FSM is adjusting glass. I am not saying that recommending reading or looking at the FSM shouldn't be suggested, but I have seen it many times where a member merely types "get a FSM"

- dont assume that the OP knows what the hell you are talking about, many new owners (who have little to no mechanical knowledge and/or aptitude) come on these forums to try and solve a problem without going to a shop.

- do yourself a favor and be sure what you write is actually correct; Google is our friend as well. I have done it myself, type something out that I "thought" was right at that moment only to be called out and then doing my own research to discover I was wrong.

- admit when you screw up with your own advice (see the point above)

- understand the difference between an opinion and advice. Just because you would not do it doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done (LS in a Charger comes to mind). Not saying you should not give your opinion, what I am saying is don't give your opinion like it is the gospel or that not following it will cause the car to burst into flames.

For those asking for help;

- see all previous posts

- if you don't work on your own car but rather have some shop doing the work for you, you really need to understand what your "mechanic" is telling you before you come onto a forum with half a story. I realize not everyone can work/build their own car but when you are playing middleman on an issue it probably isn't going to work out well if you have a decent mechanic. Not saying you shouldn't ask questions but before coming to a forum, ask the mechanic the questions; why they are doing or did something, what specific part/s they used and why, etc. If your chosen mechanic cannot answer your questions, doesn't want to answer or cannot explain something you need to find a new one. Put another way, if I was your mechanic and you have no knowledge or mechanic aptitude and came to me talking some crap you got off of a forum from someone who hasn't seen the car or understand the engine situation I would tell you to take your crap and leave (after paying the bill).

I will jump in here; I completely agree with what has already been posted but I would add this for those who want to help;

- telling someone to check the FSM is not an answer unless it is something that is a "step by step" simple thing and the FSM is as good instruction as you are going to find. The only time I personally tell people to refer to the FSM is adjusting glass. I am not saying that recommending reading or looking at the FSM shouldn't be suggested, but I have seen it many times where a member merely types "get a FSM"

- dont assume that the OP knows what the hell you are talking about, many new owners (who have little to no mechanical knowledge and/or aptitude) come on these forums to try and solve a problem without going to a shop.

- do yourself a favor and be sure what you write is actually correct; Google is our friend as well. I have done it myself, type something out that I "thought" was right at that moment only to be called out and then doing my own research to discover I was wrong.

- admit when you screw up with your own advice (see the point above)

- understand the difference between an opinion and advice. Just because you would not do it doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done (LS in a Charger comes to mind). Not saying you should not give your opinion, what I am saying is don't give your opinion like it is the gospel or that not following it will cause the car to burst into flames.

For those asking for help;

- see all previous posts

- if you don't work on your own car but rather have some shop doing the work for you, you really need to understand what your "mechanic" is telling you before you come onto a forum with half a story. I realize not everyone can work/build their own car but when you are playing middleman on an issue it probably isn't going to work out well if you have a decent mechanic. Not saying you shouldn't ask questions but before coming to a forum, ask the mechanic the questions; why they are doing or did something, what specific part/s they used and why, etc. If your chosen mechanic cannot answer your questions, doesn't want to answer or cannot explain something you need to find a new one. Put another way, if I was your mechanic and you have no knowledge or mechanic aptitude and came to me talking some crap you got off of a forum from someone who hasn't seen the car or understand the engine situation I would tell you to take your crap and leave (after paying the bill).
I'm big on this:
Citation-Needed.jpg
As in, I try to cite the sources of what I'm saying whenever possible.
Yes, it's an auto-defense mechanism against those who would trash my answer, sure, but it also shows the question asker that information is readily available out there for them too - if only they'd make an effort to find it themselves, rather than simply placing an order at this drive-thru window. :)

I have to admit that I am guilty of posting a question on a forum that I could probably answer if I just spent some time researching it or reading the vast quantity of books I have; but I hit the "easy" button and posted it. This is probably because I don't have any car buddies near by and work by myself all the time, so perhaps I am just looking to share my pain a little. I genuinely appreciate 99% of the responses I get because someone took the time to answer. I don't always take the advice I get, but I still appreciate it.

Copying and pasting info from other so called mopar websites can also prove to be problematic. A few of them are known to have incorrect info that gets posted. Mainly, a lot around engine colors and what cars came with what engines.

I have to admit that I am guilty of posting a question on a forum that I could probably answer if I just spent some time researching it or reading the vast quantity of books I have; but I hit the "easy" button and posted it. This is probably because I don't have any car buddies near by and work by myself all the time, so perhaps I am just looking to share my pain a little. I genuinely appreciate 99% of the responses I get because someone took the time to answer. I don't always take the advice I get, but I still appreciate it.
agreed.jpg
Totally agree and identify with that. Although there is actually a couple members in the neighborhood that would (and HAVE!) come running when I hollered before, I don't typically do so - folks got lives, you know?
I don't ever want to be a bother.
Besides, when it comes to answering questions, like Ivory soap, I'm 99 44/100% sure another member knows the answer better than I do - so no worries, hush and read Ed! :thumbsup:

Sometimes the habit of starting new threads is a way to start up a conversation or to let your forum friends in on your project. The search function here is actually quite good and I appreciate that.
I've read comments here that refer to members that refuse to accept good advice. This happens in real life too....Someone wants their own ideas to be validated so they ask...Do I use RED or GREEN ? 95% of the respondents suggest RED and the guy says....I am going ahead and using GREEN.
Ever had a buddy like that?
Yeah, we all have.

I've seen a couple of threads started by the same member with the same question just worded different or it was one thing leading to the next. Try to keep the ongoing problem in the same thread. Gets a little confusing when troubleshooting.

Good thread Greg :thumbsup:
Mopar has no problem other than not knowing.

Just liked your Post. Green is what the were built on
I like your enthusiasm but some of your responses seem hard to understand. Maybe a word gets missed or something. I don't know what you mean by "Green is what the were built on."

THIS brings me to another portion of this topic.
WHEN you ask for help from people and get it, SHOW APPRECIATION.
I don't mind giving up some time to help people out. Sometimes, I really enjoy it. If I'm going to help you, don't stand around watching or disappear while I am doing the work. I'm not a hired hand and not your kid.
IF I'm there in the heat and doing the work, OFFER something to drink. Don't make me ask for it.
Have the parts ready. Have tools ready. Have hand cleaner and towels. If I'm there and you have to look for things in drawers, under a tarp, in a shed in the backyard or in the house, it wastes my time. If the parts are dirty, damaged or incomplete, it wastes my time. If it is the wrong part, I don't blame that on you...stuff happens.

Here is an experience that some of you may have had in the past.

I met this guy in a car club. Years prior, he tore down his car to restore it. It was a bold move because these cars are not cheap or easy to restore. This is his first restoration and this guy has only a basic understanding of cars. He is not an idiot but not a hard core car guy either. He would ask the advice of the club members and resist the advice that he was given. Being retired, he was not rich enough to pay anyone to finish the car. He asked for my help with his car and even though I didn't really like the guy much, I agreed to help. I told him that I would show him how to do things on one side of the car and that he would then do the other side. He made one excuse or another as to why he couldn't do it.
Months later when he was ready to install the engine, he called 3 guys over to help. This was on a Summer day where even by 10:00 AM, it was 84 degrees and climbing. He had zero skills installing an engine so it was best to keep him out of the way. The three of us installed the engine and headers while he just putted around. About 3 hours in, he finally offers us some water. No mention of food, beer, Gatorade or even any thanks along the way. We are there sweating and working while he watches and he doesn't even think of how he should repay these favors.
That is some real inconsiderate ****.
I have done work for some older car guys that offer me some parts or something as a payment. I'm fine with that. This guy though....It isn't as if the guy has anything that I want. In my own life and projects, He can offer me nothing in terms of help because of his lack of skills. He has no money to pay anyone for the help. If he were in a wheelchair or something, I'd feel different but this guy walks just fine.
Friendship is one thing. If a friend needs help, I give it without expecting money. I know that he would do the same for me.
A casual acquaintance like this guy needed to offer money, food or something to repay the favor. He did none of that until I spoke up as we were finishing up for the day. He acted surprised when I was pissed about it. He tried to make excuses but I wasn't having any of it. He used people to get work done, plain and simple. I know that I could have just walked away at any time but the other 2 guys were great dudes but not as familiar with these cars as I am. I let him guilt me into helping. I learned my lesson on this guy. I am the only one to blame for allowing him to guilt me into helping. I will not make the same mistake again nor will I ever do anything else to help him.
Since then, I see him asking questions on another site quite frequently. I smile and scroll on by each time I see them.

After reading all that I hope you find a good place for your soul.Very sad to see in type

Last edited:
yep it's nice when the party asking the questions or for help
comes back & thanks those involved (if necessary)
or
if he found the problem & fixed it,
the party comes back to share it with the rest of US
what it actually was/is
it may/could actually be very helpful to someone else in the future

especially those that actually use the search option available

either way, using already available threads on the subject & posts already
use of the search feature or not

you don't need to be a damn grammar nazi or post whore either
just be considerate

yep it's nice when the party asking the questions or for help
comes back & thanks those involved or