• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for all you car people!

I see nothing wrong here. You are doing fine.
Sometimes we miss a word or something gets "autocorrected" to a completely different word and it is confusing.

Thanks...I have read a lot of books since high school so I'm sure that has helped, but my understanding of the use of proper words, grammar and punctuation is a guess at best sometimes. ;)

I have a lifelong friend that is THE guy to call when I need help. He is the type that would do anything for a buddy. I have tried to emulate him in that regard but I've had to develop some smarts about it. I have ran into some real self centered types that will use people for their own needs but be a ghost when you need help from them.
The guy that I referenced in post #36 here has a '68 Charger and he knew that I like these cars. I let him guilt me into helping him despite him not being a guy that I'd be friends with.

Sometimes we miss a word or something gets "autocorrected" to a completely different word and it is confusing.

Dammit Kern, you had to go and trigger a joke from me. Off topic, but here goes...
A guy is chatting with the guy beside him on the airplane.
“The most embarrassing thing happened to me.” he says. “I was buying my ticket for this flight and I meant to say that I wanted a ticket to Pittsburg, but what came out was that I wanted a picket to titsburg.”
“I know what you mean.” his companion replies. “This morning I was having breakfast with my wife. I meant to say pass the cornflakes but what came out was you silly bitch, you ruined my life.”

Thanks...I have read a lot of books since high school so I'm sure that has helped, but my understanding of the use of proper words, grammar and punctuation is a guess at best sometimes. ;)
Keep reading. It does affect your own vocabulary, spelling and syntax by relation when you do. :thumbsup:

How about those people that you rarely ever see but when they call, it is always to ask for help?
"I'll feed you"....
That is nice but a day of helping you move gets me a ten dollar sandwich ?? :up:
If you are a friend that I'm in contact with often, sure, that is fine. If you are a friend of a friend of my uncle, I'm going to pass!

A little ironic (to me) that this thread took this turn because I am in the midst of building a car for a friend, a 69 Ply station wagon with a 440 6 pack and a 4 speed. It all started off innocently enough; this friend is not what I would call a "good friend" in that I do not know him all that well, but he is a car guy and he did the upholstery on my 73 Cuda. He isn't all that old but has a lot of health issues some of which require a part of his foot to be amputated. Anyway, every time I would talk to him he would tell me all these things he wanted to do with his wagon (engine/trans already installed) but I knew he could not do them physically so in a moment of weakness I told him to bring me the car and I would install his EFI 6 pack and put in a new wiring harness.

So began the journey which could fill a book, suffice to say that when doing the fuel system I discovered that the floor was gone, so I had to put in a new rear (spare tire) section, BUT he wanted the spare tire hole closed off so I did that. Then it was install disc brakes all the way around, install a new 3rd member, build a headlight relay system, make a gauge panel, build a console (still have to do that), just determined that the drivers side rear door lower hinge was bad (like busted out) so I fixed that which then led me to do all of the door hinges and on it goes.

All this said, I volunteered for this so I have nothing to complain about, he buys all of the parts and on top of this he has paid me along the way which was unexpected but welcome. My point this is that early on before he paid me anything I was beginning to hate life kicking myself for volunteering for such a large project but I also felt good about doing something for someone else. Long story short, has worked out pretty well although I do wish I would get it finished so I can move on.

IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG

In 2001, I made a deal with a friend. He would do the rust repair, bodywork and paint on THIS car......
1 M X.JPG
9 swjbd.JPG

....And I would frame up his work shop.
Well, once he found out how much he was going to save on labor versus hiring a licensed Contractor, all sorts of changes came along.
The county he lived in had limitations on the size of the shop. The shop could not exceed the square footage of the residence SO he wanted to do an addition to the house to increase the size. This was not the deal that I made but he was and still is a friend that just got a bit greedy with it all. In the end, I estimated that I would have made around $20,000 if I had charged him what a Contractor would have done. Yeah, the car turned out great but I did "pay" well over market value to get it done. It did drag out longer than I expected, to the point where I was working alongside him to speed things up.

I'm a member of several car forums. I love the sharing of experiences and information. There is a staggering wealth of knowledge out there and I'm humble to be a part of that.
I see members post about their projects and I post about mine. I'm probably middle of the pack in terms of skill and money. There are guys that have ratty cars, they scrape whatever money they can find to do each part of their car. On the other end, we have the trailer queen crowd that often do more check writing than they do wrench spinning.
When a member starts a thread asking for assistance, I am glad to help if I have the right answer. If they ask for opinions, I'm glad to give mine.
It isn't always easy though. Some people make it hard to help them. I suggest the following:
1) When asking for help, please provide enough information to assist others in finding a fix. Starting a thread with My car runs bad. Is it the ignition or carburetor? while not even mentioning the type of car, engine, transmission, additional symptoms....What kind of help do you think you'll get?
2) If responses come in that fix your problem, be sure to thank the member. If the responses don't help, thank them anyway. Some of us have LONG memories and may scroll by you the next time if we think that you are not decent enough to show some appreciation.
3) If a bit of time goes by and you remember a thread you started, pop in and give a progress report. Sometimes a member suggests something that is a shot in the dark and it is nice to learn when a Hail Mary fix was successful. If you're still having trouble, mention that. Maybe someone will have a new idea for you.

Feel free to add to this list.

View attachment 1032688
Indeed!
Thanks for all of the assistance along the way when I just throw up my shredded dash eaten hand in disgust! :moparsmiley::usflag:

In 2001, I made a deal with a friend. He would do the rust repair, bodywork and paint on THIS car......
View attachment 1033172 View attachment 1033173

....And I would frame up his work shop.
Well, once he found out how much he was going to save on labor versus hiring a licensed Contractor, all sorts of changes came along.
The county he lived in had limitations on the size of the shop. The shop could not exceed the square footage of the residence SO he wanted to do an addition to the house to increase the size. This was not the deal that I made but he was and still is a friend that just got a bit greedy with it all. In the end, I estimated that I would have made around $20,000 if I had charged him what a Contractor would have done. Yeah, the car turned out great but I did "pay" well over market value to get it done. It did drag out longer than I expected, to the point where I was working alongside him to speed things up.

I was a siding/window remodeling contactor for 30 yrs before the Army ruined most of me. I had a 69 WS27L9G Coronet R/T 440 (convertible) needed trunk floors, lower 1/4's, found a guy owned a Hot Rod shop close by where I lived, he was trying to sell his house at the same time I was about to try tackling the Coronets repairs..
Since I had contractor accounts on materials etc & knew gutter guys, roofers etc. It worked out very well. I had him get estimate from company I sub-contracted for.
Made a deal I'll do what they quoted for 1/2. Ended up with media blasted, (I buy parts) he did ALL trunk work, 1/4's, replaced a once wrecked RH inner fender, sealed, primered and finished up with the original Y2 paint & stripe.. This was around 1998, He sold his house easily, I rebuilt the N96 inducted 440 4bbl... We both did well on that one. No salesman's comission, most materials left over from same colored jobs along the waym

Auto Transport Service
Back