• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Advice Needed - Purchasing from Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendanchambers

Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Ok, so in 2020 i decided to purchase a roadrunner, i went through all the pain of importing etc, and long story-short, purchasing a car sight-unseen is a gamble....and i learnt its more of a gamble than i originally thought, unfortunately i was lead on by the dealership i purchased the vehicle from, it had a ton of rust and although it looked good from the outside i have no idea how it managed to pass road worthy.......

So, i put it up for sale and managed to sell it last friday without breaking the bank too much.....

So the question is: can someone recommend a trustworthy person in the USA who knows old Mopars who could help me source another mopar that's a decent deal and not going to turn up with "surprises"....

Find what you like then have a member here take the first look.

How did a pass a Roadworthy here in Australia if it was full of rust?

How did a pass a Roadworthy here in Australia if it was full of rust?
i actually have no idea...structural rust and a bent passenger front chassis rail...i think it was because it was at the end of December and they just wanted to go on holidays...

to be honest, i still reckon i could've sold it on for a bit more which would've made the situation a bit better, however i decided to let it go and move on...

i actually have no idea...structural rust and a bent passenger front chassis rail...i think it was because it was at the end of December and they just wanted to go on holidays...

So was the new buyer aware of these "issues"?

I would ask a member on here to check it out who is in the same state (or province if Canada) and of course preferably same city. It’s a good group of people on the forum for the most part and if it was in my city I’d be willing to help. Even if we just took a tone of pictures to send to you.

I would ask a member on here to check it out who is in the same state (or province if Canada) and of course preferably same city. It’s a good group of people on the forum for the most part and if it was in my city I’d be willing to help. Even if we just took a tone of pictures to send to you.

Yeh, i shouldve done that....i guess i was a bit new to the old school mopar stuff and probably shouldve connected with the community first and got some advice......

....i just got bored during covid and took a gamble, thankfully its worked out okayish in the end....

Yes, he buys and sells classic cars and is going to drop a 426 into it so he was expecting to do a fair amount of work on it....
Ok you're off the hook.
I saw the advert you had up, "only selling because of the baby that's coming" etc and was hoping you hadn't sold the issues onto someone else. It's something I could never do, no matter how much **** I was in.
Glad you've got rid of it and can move on, I suspected it was rough dog when you had all those issues and then posted photos of the underside when the center link was hitting the sump.

Step one don't buy from dealers!
Tons of guys here we would gladly help find a car you want post up where it's at and see who's near it !
Hope the next one is good !

Ok you're off the hook.
I saw the advert you had up, "only selling because of the baby that's coming" etc and was hoping you hadn't sold the issues onto someone else. It's something I could never do, no matter how much **** I was in.
Glad you've got rid of it and can move on, I suspected it was rough dog when you had all those issues and then posted photos of the underside when the center link was hitting the sump.

Yeh, well the baby is another thing that made me sell as it became clear to me that i was in for the unknown (with my first baby) and i didnt think i'd have the time to fix it up to how i'd like it to be with the responsibilities of looking after a baby as well....so yeh no lies on this.... (FYI, my wife is getting induced tomorrow, so i will be a dad tomorrow :) )

also, to be honest (ignorant me), a lot of the issues were pointed out to me when buyers were looking at the car after my ad was posted, hence why i let it go for way less than the advertised price...and just moved on.....

i guess there's one way to learn....

Step one don't buy from dealers!
Tons of guys here we would gladly help find a car you want post up where it's at and see who's near it !
Hope the next one is good !

Ok, interesting point, i thought it would've been the safer route...I thought they'd be more "ethical"

Ok, interesting point, i thought it would've been the safer route...I thought they'd be more "ethical"

We've all been burned before...but one thing you can be sure of, is most people selling privately seem to disclose all the faults on a car, especially if you're there in person looking at it. For most people it's hard to lie straight to someone's face.
Car dealers however are the exception - they will tell you ANYTHING to get a sale.

Your best bet is to see if anyone on here is selling their car - not a new member but someone who's been on here for a few years and is well known. You could almost guarantee they won't rip you off. Maybe start a WTB thread listing the Model/Years/Spec you are interested in and see what comes of it? It might take awhile but to be honest you'll probably have your hands full for the next few months anyway.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Cheers

We've all been burned before...but one thing you can be sure of, is most people selling privately seem to disclose all the faults on a car, especially if you're there in person looking at it. For most people it's hard to lie straight to someone's face.
Car dealers however are the exception - they will tell you ANYTHING to get a sale.

Your best bet is to see if anyone on here is selling their car - not a new member but someone who's been on here for a few years and is well known. You could almost guarantee they won't rip you off. Maybe start a WTB thread listing the Model/Years/Spec you are interested in and see what comes of it? It might take awhile but to be honest you'll probably have your hands full for the next few months anyway.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Cheers

thanks mate, i think thats sound advice...and i'm certainly not going to rush it again....with the way the exchange rates going i may be better off waiting for a bit anyhow...and well the baby...no promises at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back