• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket Gauges

flatiron44

Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
I need to put Aftermarket gauges in my Roadrunner. Should I go with mechanical air electric sending units ? Pros and cons
Thank you

I like mechanical.....never cared for air gauges :D

I have all mechanical gauges in my 69-roadrunner including, oil pressure, water temp, voltage gauge, nitrous pressure, and fuel pressure.

Electrical gauges;

Pro- The electrical gauges are easy to run using just wires. They can also use stock senders. Often inexpensive in price.
Con - I have three coolant temp gauges all reading differently.

My 69 runner got mini electric gauges, to avoid drilling holes. A few wires and some two sided tape worked great. Small enough to put exactly where I wanted without changing or blocking anything else.
My 62, where originality meant nothing, got mechanical gauges, as did everything else that I wanted accurate gauges in.
If a place can be found or fabricated for them, I ALWAYS prefer mechanical gauges.

I'm making this decision right now. I'm opting for mechanical water temp for better accuracy, but leaning towards electric fuel gauge with a MeterMatch setup to make it accurate.

I've read about issues with using a mechanical oil pressure gauge due to the oil filled nylon line under the dash. I'm opting not to do that and just keeping the electric non-rally cluster idiot light for oil pressure.

As for the oil pressure gauge, I will recommend using copper tubing in place of nylon tubing.

I'm making this decision right now. I'm opting for mechanical water temp for better accuracy, but leaning towards electric fuel gauge with a MeterMatch setup to make it accurate.

I've read about issues with using a mechanical oil pressure gauge due to the oil filled nylon line under the dash. I'm opting not to do that and just keeping the electric non-rally cluster idiot light for oil pressure.
I ditched the nylon tubing for the braided line.

I agree quality braided would be best, but I just recently had a braided fuel hose to fail. If you choose to use braided, use quality braided from a reputable supplier and not cheap import offerings.

I agree quality braided would be best, but I just recently had a braided fuel hose to fail. If you choose to use braided, use quality braided from a reputable supplier and not cheap import offerings.
Teflon line.

I don’t like the oil filled hose inside the cars cabin. Like a fuel gauge inside the car, it requires an isolater. Expensive & a PIA to get it all done, but much safer.

I don’t like the oil filled hose inside the cars cabin. Like a fuel gauge inside the car, it requires an isolater. Expensive & a PIA to get it all done, but much safer.
I trust my braided teflon oil line. Even if it should somehow leak/blow, it's just oil. Fuel is a different matter.
I got VERY tired of replacing fuel pressure gauges every couple years on the cowl of my car. I bought the isolator, and put the gauge inside. No more problems, going on fifteen years.

I’ll just say that not only did I not like the oil mess in the cabin but the oil was very hot on my leg.:(

Yes, I went with electric oil pressure gauge. I had 71 6 pack Roadrunner years ago and that oil hose let go and got oil everywhere inside and all over my legs. That's why I went electric. Just be sure to change the sending unit. The stock idiot light sending unit is either on or off. No measurement of pressure.

I’ll just say that not only did I not like the oil mess in the cabin but the oil was very hot on my leg.:(
Yeh. First noticed a problem when my radio started leaking oil.
Have an OEM electrical (thermal) gauge, now, and is not range marked numerically. I just look for a consistent indication. I did initially verify it's indication with a temporary mechanical test gauge Tee'd in at the engine block.

Auto Transport Service
Back