• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air compressor in garage or out?

OH71RRunner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
I'm finally getting my garage set up after being here almost a year. The garage is an attached 24x24. There's one oversized door on the right, so it's not a true 2-car garage. I'm going to put an electrical panel in just for the garage so it can have dedicated electric.

There's a small room in the garage for storage. Originally thought of putting the air compressor in there. But then I thought it might be best to put the air compressor outside between the garage and pre-built garage, build a couple small walls and roof to house the compressor. There's about 5 feet between the two.

Where is your compressor?
What are your thoughts?

I've never had the need for a large/loud compressor. I have a newer style low noise 5.5 gallon compressor from California Aur Tools. 60db. I don't use air tools or paint cars.

Harbor Freight sells similar compressors.

IMO, I like it inside where the air is driest with lots of airflow around it for cooling. I've thought about putting it up in the storage area but there's less airflow up there and in the summer it would be hotter, plus I probably wouldn't drain it as often.

mine is outside in a little block shed, well ventilated....... the downside is I use a hotdog heater to warm it up in cold weather after sitting all night

I'm finally getting my garage set up after being here almost a year. The garage is an attached 24x24. There's one oversized door on the right, so it's not a true 2-car garage. I'm going to put an electrical panel in just for the garage so it can have dedicated electric.

There's a small room in the garage for storage. Originally thought of putting the air compressor in there. But then I thought it might be best to put the air compressor outside between the garage and pre-built garage, build a couple small walls and roof to house the compressor. There's about 5 feet between the two.

What are your thoughts?
In Ohio? Inside, otherwise the water that inevitably collects inside can freeze. I've seen it break the petcock on the bottom, letting all the air escape, triggering compressor to turn on and burnt up sometime through the night. Was supposed to be off I assume, but oversights happen. As rarely as mine kick on, the noise isn't a big deal. And if you're running an air tool or sand blaster, the compressor noise is the least of your worries.

What are your thoughts?
Inside if you are in Ohio

For the garage air I have a 1.5hp/33gal in the basement of the house. Piped it up and out into the garage to a 50ft retractable line installed overhead. Regulator and air/moisture separator in the garage. I drain the separator and leave it open after every use. The tank I leave full as it’s heated down there and not worried about freezing. I drain off the tank moisture periodically.

In the shop (much newer construction), it’s not heated yet. So I stay in the habit of draining the tank AND the separator after each use so I don’t get caught during freezing temps. I have a 5hp/60gal out there. But I’m using cordless more and more for everything and only fire up the compressor when I need a little extra oomph breaking something free with the impact, running the die-grinder or using the blow gun.

I have a 15' X 35' loft in my shop so the compressor is up there. My shop has 2X6" walls and is well insulated so I don't hear it. I installed one of those electronic bleeders on it so when it is powered up, it bleeds the moisture off for 5 seconds every 10 minutes. I shut the breaker off when not in use. Works great for me.

Thank you all for the replies.

Seems as though it will be best to keep it in the garage in more climate controlled environment.

If you want to quiet it down, enclose the immediate area around the compressor with studs and fiberglass
insulation with a 6" round heat duct at the bottom at the floor, and one near the cieling with a booster fan
in it to evacuate the warm air. The cold air will enter at the bottom and rise helping cool the compressor
and then the warm air will be pulled out near the top, keeping the garage quiet, and help with the heat in
the winter. A little booster fan inside the duct doesn't draw alot of current, and it can be wired right into
the compressor so it only runs when the compressor comes on.

My shop is 40x30 with a dividing wall down the middle. I use one side (20x30) for work, and it has a ceiling installed to aid with heating and cooling. The other side, also 20x30, is where my 69 roadrunner and 55 Bel Air reside. My 60-gallon compressor will go on the side with the cars to cut down on the noise in my work area.

My garage is climate controlled.....whatever the outside climate is, that is what my garage is......
North central Virginia and I keep my compressor inside covered with a box made from 2 inch thick Styrofoam sheeting I don't have any fans on it, but I have vents around the bottom and top. I also have a remote drain line kit on it so that I can more easily drain it. I might look for one of those electronic ones as I did not know that they made them.

My garage is climate controlled.....whatever the outside climate is, that is what my garage is......
North central Virginia and I keep my compressor inside covered with a box made from 2 inch thick Styrofoam sheeting I don't have any fans on it, but I have vents around the bottom and top. I also have a remote drain line kit on it so that I can more easily drain it. I might look for one of those electronic ones as I did not know that they made them.
This is the one I installed on my compressor. About 30 bucks on Ebay. Electronic timed Moisture drain. I had a habit of forgetting to drain the tank so this took care of that problem. They are adjustable so you can set it where you want. I have mine set to bleed for 10 seconds every ten minutes. Seems to work good. I piped it into a 5 gallon bucket but there is never any water in it.

s-l500.jpg

100_0641.JPG

100_0642.JPG

I've had a Sears Craftsman 5HP, 33 gal. compressor since about 1991. I've painted a car with it, but now use it mostly to keep the tires inflated and occasionally to drive air tools. I've never been bothered by the noise. It's kept inside an unheated garage with the cars. In eastern NC, freezing is not much of a problem.

My shop building is 36x90. I have 36x36 portioned off and heated. The first 10 years I had a 5hp compressor on the heated side, and I didn’t like the noise. I now have a 7 1/2hp on the ingested side, and I like it much better. Been there 7 years. I have a flexible block heater attached to the lower 1 inch of the crankcase, which I plug in when the temp starts to drop into the 40’s. Works good, no issues with moisture at the bottom.

This is the one I installed on my compressor. About 30 bucks on Ebay. Electronic timed Moisture drain. I had a habit of forgetting to drain the tank so this took care of that problem. They are adjustable so you can set it where you want. I have mine set to bleed for 10 seconds every ten minutes. Seems to work good. I piped it into a 5 gallon bucket but there is never any water in it.

View attachment 1362460

View attachment 1362475

View attachment 1362476
Is that your drain line, way up higher than the compressor??? Maybe that's why your bucket stays dry..... What are we looking at here?

Is that your drain line, way up higher than the compressor??? Maybe that's why your bucket stays dry..... What are we looking at here?
Yes it is. That black hose is routed from the bottom of the tank where the water accumulates. The pressure in the tank blows it out whenever the timer valve opens. The bucket stays dry because it kicks out any moisture at the bottom of the tank every 10 minutes. I used to get some moisture in my separator before but not any longer. It works, believe me.

What are your thoughts?
Condensation will freeze in winter and risk a crack.

I'm in Ohio and I put mine upstairs (my garage is 2 stories). It's not heated but being upstairs has an advantage.. gravity. You can plumb your drain through the floor where it's heated and drain it downstairs. So far no issues even when it's below zero. Even in our old garage where it was only heated while we were out there we didn't have any issues, neighbor down the road does the same thing. Guess it depends on the compressor, the one I have now is a lot quieter but the last one drove me insane!

Auto Transport Service
Back