• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air compressor in garage or out?

The closet in the garage is right next to the living room in the house. I was worried about potential noise. But I can always add extra foam or sound deadening material.

Or, like suggested above, put a couple walls around it so the compressor is in a "closet" with vents at the bottom and top. I have one of those 4 inch duct fans laying around somewhere.

I'm usually pretty good about keeping my compressor tank empty and dry. I've got an oil-less craftsman compressor that I've had since 2004. Kept it off and drain open unless using it. But I found a newer IR 60 gal at an auction for $200 last year.

I say inside..I live in HELLINOIS n below freezing in winter is a factor here...

The closet in the garage is right next to the living room in the house. I was worried about potential noise. But I can always add extra foam or sound deadening material.

Or, like suggested above, put a couple walls around it so the compressor is in a "closet" with vents at the bottom and top. I have one of those 4 inch duct fans laying around somewhere.

I'm usually pretty good about keeping my compressor tank empty and dry. I've got an oil-less craftsman compressor that I've had since 2004. Kept it off and drain open unless using it. But I found a newer IR 60 gal at an auction for $200 last year.
Oil-less... I'd be moving it out of the garage for sure, damn are those obnoxious as hell. I had one for awhile, next one was a Lowes compressor, don't remember the brand but it wasn't much better. Now I have a 4 cyl Challenger, wow what a different in noise, cfm, vibration.

I put mine inside the garage on a rubber mat. The mat really helped quiet the sound.

Oil-less... I'd be moving it out of the garage for sure, damn are those obnoxious as hell. I had one for awhile, next one was a Lowes compressor, don't remember the brand but it wasn't much better. Now I have a 4 cyl Challenger, wow what a different in noise, cfm, vibration.
I didn't like how noisy the craftsman is, but it's worked all these years for various projects. Just glad that I found a better compressor. This Ingersoll-Rand should be a lot quieter and deliver more air. It's a single stage 3 hp.

In my house, I put the compressor in the basement and piped it to the attached garage with 1/2" thick wall copper pipe. There is a more concistant temperature & humidity in the basement than in the garage or outside shelter can provide.

In my house, I put the compressor in the basement and piped it to the attached garage with 1/2" thick wall copper pipe. There is a more concistant temperature & humidity in the basement than in the garage or outside shelter can provide.
Does your wife let you back in the house after a late night wrenching in the garage?

Mine is in an unheated 30x40 shop ....I just ignore the noise....after a while I don't notice it.
The only problem I have is if I need it in the winter at -20 I have to put a heater nearby to heat the oil to get it to start properly.

I have mine in the corner of my 30x40 climate controlled shop. I got tired of dragging an air hose all over the place so I plumbed the whole shop with 3/4" PEX. I don't even realize it's running when I'm working out there. It's on 24/7, unless we're gone for a few days.

Thank you all for the replies.

Seems as though it will be best to keep it in the garage in more climate controlled environment.
I've been doing maintenence on our compressors at work for many years, I've had them inside and out, I can tell you from first hand experience, PUT IT IN A CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT! If you possibly can.

I have mine in the corner of my 30x40 climate controlled shop. I got tired of dragging an air hose all over the place so I plumbed the whole shop with 3/4" PEX. I don't even realize it's running when I'm working out there. It's on 24/7, unless we're gone for a few days.
I like the fact that the extra piping adds lots of capacity too.

I'm finally getting my garage set up after being here almost a year. The garage is an attached 24x24. There's one oversized door on the right, so it's not a true 2-car garage. I'm going to put an electrical panel in just for the garage so it can have dedicated electric.

There's a small room in the garage for storage. Originally thought of putting the air compressor in there. But then I thought it might be best to put the air compressor outside between the garage and pre-built garage, build a couple small walls and roof to house the compressor. There's about 5 feet between the two.

Where is your compressor?
What are your thoughts?
My garage is 32 x 65 and we keep the vertical compressor inside in the corner. We then built a completely enclosed doghouse around it. We built furnace air filter frames on the roof and one side to breath and we painted in here. Works fine but yes it’s noisy.

I've been doing maintenence on our compressors at work for many years, I've had them inside and out, I can tell you from first hand experience, PUT IT IN A CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT! If you possibly can.
X2

I have an upright and I was imagining it outside in a what looks like an outhouse. Might even paint a crescent moon on it. Put vents at the bottom and mount one of those roof fans to kick on when the pump does.

In the basement with a three way switch. I plumbed it to the garage with a reel. and can still use it in my shop in the basement. It's under the stairs.

Unless you're using an oil less compressor, which really noisy whatever you do. About 90% of compressor noise comes from the air intake. Just repiping your air intake higher up in a room or even building just a small walled off area for the intake air alone will make things a lot more bearable in the shop.

Tom

I wouldn't use PEX for air if I were you. It may seem fine, but it's not rated for it and the fittings for sure are a problem. I've seen reports of accidents with it after using it for months/years. Lots of info online about this...be safe.

Not in the garage or around anyone you want to see live.

I posted in general discussion that Tractor Supply has an Ingersol Rand 80 gal 5 hp 2 stage compressor for sale for only $1200. I was at the local store yesterday and they had 2 on display. They looked pretty good. Cast iron compressor, big metal belt guard. Here's what it looks like. Sale runs through Sat 11/26.

20221122_112911.jpg
20221122_112930.jpg
20221122_112950.jpg
20221122_113053.jpg

I keep my 60 gallon compressor inside my detached garage - in Pittsburgh.

Auto Transport Service
Back