• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Dam for my new Scoop

good info in this video
how the air enters that carb is more critical
sharp flat edges aren't good for flow or HP

the old velocity stack theory "still" really works

it's a big block cheby on the dyno, but the airflow is what counts
more than the actual air-cleaner, the base makes all the different

LOL...you would have to go 10.157 not to lose your car.....I will.trade you even though. Love ur car
---
Thanks, same with your car Mike.
Plans are to spank that 10.15 this year too. With one hood or the other. LOL

good info in this video
how the air enters that carb is more critical
sharp flat edges aren't good for flow or HP

the old velocity stack theory "still" really works

it's a big block cheby on the dyno, but the airflow is what counts
more than the actual air-cleaner, the base makes all the different

I agree. Look at the bells on the 63 - 65 Max Wedges and Hemi's.

---
My fibreglass base ranks about the same as your hold down Frank! Some pics for proof. Lol

View attachment 582360
I made a mold out of plastic board or whatever it's called. Then I taped it completely up with packing tape and got out the fibreglass.
View attachment 582361
When I was done the packing tape wrinkles showed through. Lol. But it matches the bottom of the hood.. Haha
View attachment 582362
Picture before being secured to the air cleaner base.
The dip in the rear is for the hood structure.
View attachment 582363
I used some A/C foam from the hardware store for the seal.
I can run with or without the air filter. The plenum is held down firmly with the hood when closed. Posting these pictures though I see that a hold down would be a good idea when not running the filter.
Last pic looks identical to mine. Used moroso foam on mine .

I agree. Look at the bells on the 63 - 65 Max Wedges and Hemi's.
---
Very informative clip, was surprising to see how the side element filter effected air flow to the top element. Moes mentioned this early in the post, same as what Mike Gaines said too.
Thinking thinking..

I wonder if turning vanes in the scoop to bring air straight into the top of the carb would be beneficial .
aa.jpg
aaa.jpg

A new 16" K&N top air filter element showed up the other day. This should help during those dust storm days at the track.
IMG_2352.JPG

Been working on another plenum now that can be used on calm days, if that ever happens..

IMG_2347.JPG

Starting to take shape. Once sealed tight to the hood this air bell should work quite well.
IMG_2364.JPG

You need to open a fabrication business my friend..

I wouldn't go that far Mike but thanks!

So this is about as good as I can get for making this backwards scoop breath. Will see how it works this season and at some point will switch back to the hemi scoop to do a comparison.

Air bell fit to a plenum and sealed to the hood.
All Intake air comes from the windshield cowl area.
IMG_2368.JPG

Filtered air for those dust storm race days
IMG_2352.JPG

1.5" air gap between windshield and cowl opening.
Wipers may interfere with air flow, will try both ways - wipers and no wipers.
IMG_4794.JPG

Will compare the 5" cowl against the 5" hemi scoop at some point this racing season.
IMG_4065.JPG

ANYONE CARE TO MAKE ANY PREDICTIONS BETWEEN THE 2 HOODS??

Back in the 70's Tom Hoover said a scoop opening of 30 sq. inches was enough. He was talking about Pro Stock where scoops were off the surface of hood. I always wonder if a big scoop, 2nd picture might slow you down. Did you ever try to make opening smaller?

Back in the 70's Tom Hoover said a scoop opening of 30 sq. inches was enough. He was talking about Pro Stock where scoops were off the surface of hood. I always wonder if a big scoop, 2nd picture might slow you down. Did you ever try to make opening smaller?
---
Never tried reducing the hood opening. Being the first year for both the car and myself, the hood opening was not even a thought. It was obvious that the scoop was grabbing huge air though, most noticeable towards the end of the pass.

Auto Transport Service
Back