• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Shocks or Rear End Lifts

Now I'm hearing from a Mopar Show in MN this weekend thAt most of the guys are using gas shocks to fit their wheels in their wells.

What are gas shocks, how do they work, where do you get them and are they a decent solution to my problem?

Pls anyone familiar with them could you give me some insight?
thx so much for all responses.

There is no reason that 275/60/15's with an 8" rim won't fit perfectly on your car with stock springs and shocks. Do some measuring with the current set up and buy a couple of new rims with the correct backspace. That would be the best fix imo.

Thats what I have on my 69 road runner.4.5" back space 8" rim stock ride height and have plenty of room to go wider

I had air shocks on my 69 GTX. They are worn out. I replaced them with Viking shocks and installed air bags on the axle. I keep minimum air in them to keep the tire from rubbing. The stance is great. I have the Caltracs, also. Vikings Shocks are expensive but adjustable and rebuildable so in the long run them would be cheaper. My two cents.

I had air shocks on my 69 GTX. They are worn out. I replaced them with Viking shocks and installed air bags on the axle. I keep minimum air in them to keep the tire from rubbing. The stance is great. I have the Caltracs, also. Vikings Shocks are expensive but adjustable and rebuildable so in the long run them would be cheaper. My two cents.

what brand of air bags & pictures please :)

Now I'm hearing from a Mopar Show in MN this weekend thAt most of the guys are using gas shocks to fit their wheels in their wells.

What are gas shocks, how do they work, where do you get them and are they a decent solution to my problem?

Pls anyone familiar with them could you give me some insight?
thx so much for all responses.

Gas shocks aren't a solution to your problem. KYB brand and various others use gas under pressure verses oil as a dampening medium. They don't add lift. Sorry...

I bought Firestone universal air bags and mounted the bracket to the frame; you have to pull the U bolts; the instructions are good so just follow the instructions; I will post pics later today after work.

I raised my 62 by having the springs rearched and adding a leaf with the increased arch.
The only way they said the arch would stay.
Worked great and fast 3 days.
$200
Took apart all leafs rearched both side to match and added leaf.
North Side Auto Spring Evansville Indiana

Thx to another FBBO suggestion I went with the Add a Leaf Pro Comp system from Summit. Gave me the 2" I needed and I'm off to the races...... As soon as I get my car back. I'm dying on that end its taking so long. Thx Badvert!

I had air shocks on my challenger back in the day, they worked but I never had traction, I dont think the shocks let the weight transfer or the leaf springs do their job. plus it was bumpy as hell. an old timer said to get an old set of mopar springs and add leafs as needed, I picked up a set for 50 bucks off cl

That's basically what I ended up doing. I had used air shocks back in the day but also had the no traction problem. Adding a leaf to each side of the cars leaf springs seem to do the trick. Not sure if the ride will be rougher or the same. All it know at the moment is I have the room I was trying to get for only $36 from Summit.

I messed with a leaf spring or 2 once....had all kinds of problems with...dropped drive shaft., wheel hop, had to put longer (or higher) pinion snubber on b body.....put stock springs back on /with air shocks (separate lines) "not too much air"and was MUCH better...BUT that was a long time ago...guess they don't make em' for nothin'
...Just sain'

Auto Transport Service
Back