• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alignment problem on MP distributor

That should be the rotor. That looks like a E tron cap they are horrible any chance you have another cap around? The distributor is probably fine. I see the length difference I can honestly say I have never ran into that YET. Wonder if it is a Ford rotor they look the same but not.

I just found this on allpar...
Thoughts?

12. The price of the electronic ignition's performance is paying more careful attention to the condition of your distributor cap, rotor and spark plug wires. You can also change them out. The trick piece in this department is a NAPA Echlin long-tip rotor # MO-3000, which has a brass contact 0.060” longer than stock. This means less arcing inside the distributor, which means less burn wear on the cap and rotor contacts and less ignition noise in your radio. Be careful about Echlin or Accel distributor caps, though; many of them are ground off-centre and can cause carnage when the rotor—especially the longer special one—hits one of the improperly-ground, too-big cap contacts.

I would seriously try a new same brand say blue point cap and rotor.

I just found this on allpar...
Thoughts?
First thought is...WOW!
Hard to believe something so simple, cap and rotor, can be so screwed up!

Any chance you tried turning the distributor, while it was still in your hand? Rotor tip should just make a sweep past each cap contact, with just enough gap, to pass the spark. Never have thought much on what that gap is.
It works, or it don't.

Wrong cap, wrong rotor, or both. I'd measure the height on the rotor, too, against the height of the cap contacts.

Good luck on that one...

Hey is the upper shaft bent? Spin it and if it is you will see it wobble, can easily happen in shipping? Just a thought.

I'm very happy with the FireCore distributor. Bulit great. Totally compatible with orange box. Only a bit more $ than the MP dizzy but well worth it. Went thru a few MP distributors, different problems with each one. Quality control is terrible, MP's are made in Tiwan.

The older MP distribs are just a better oem distrib, the new ones are basically Mallory adjustable agreed the quality is hit and miss. There are some great distribs out there for sure. Myself since I do them I lean to the OEM ones just because of parts availability.

Auto Transport Service
Back