• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Almost ready to come home!

Doba76

Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
So, got the Cordoba to fire and run for a few seconds after getting some fuel in the float bowl through the vent, but still can't get it to run on fuel from the tank. I was assured more that once that the tank was siphoned dry right after it was parked, so a bunch of old fuel isn't my main worry, so I ordered a new fuel pump today as it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it anyway for the whopping 23 bucks it cost.
Some people have said that I haven't cranked it over for long enough but I had enough fuel in the float bowl to keep it running for at least 5-10 seconds more than once. I hate anything turning over for more than 10-15 seconds at a time, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow night when I put the new pump on. I was also told to put more fuel in the tank as I don't have enough in there which didn't make much sense to me, but I'll take another 10 liters out tomorrow as well.
Anyway, forgot the good camera again, but here's a few shots I managed to take with the iPhone last night.
Cordoba 3.jpgCordoba 1.jpgCordoba 2.jpg

As you can see, the interior is about the worst part of the car. It's now sprayed down with a liberal dose of Spray Nine as it kills pretty much anything including the hanta virus. I just hope to hell it kills bubonic plague as well!

Attachments

• Cordoba 1.jpg
    Cordoba 1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 532
  • Cordoba 3.jpg
    Cordoba 3.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 519
  • Cordoba 2.jpg
    Cordoba 2.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 521
I have a couple reverse lights and lenses if you need them. I bet you cant wait to do a deep clean lol

What the hell is with the upside down pictures, or am I the only one that can see them? I'm just not having any luck with pictures and forums lately!
Anyway, I just might take you up on your offer super77. I've actually got the drivers side, but the bumper is rusting from the inside out and the mounting tabs rotted away. They're both pretty faded and will probably crumble if I try to polish them out, but I'll let you know. Going to go look for a replacement bumper this weekend along with a trunk lid.

What the hell is with the upside down pictures, or am I the only one that can see them? I'm just not having any luck with pictures and forums lately!
Anyway, I just might take you up on your offer super77. I've actually got the drivers side, but the bumper is rusting from the inside out and the mounting tabs rotted away. They're both pretty faded and will probably crumble if I try to polish them out, but I'll let you know. Going to go look for a replacement bumper this weekend along with a trunk lid.

my guess is your iphone was upside down when you took em. you can edit them on your computer and save them right side up before you post to solve that problemo

I thought you found a 2nd car...in China.

Your upside down pictures remind me of the Batman TV show from the 60's. Do you have good spark? Try running fuel from gas can with clean gasoline to rule out poor fuel in tank. I bought years ago a cheap electric fuel pump that can pump 50 gallons an hour. This or something similar could drain the tank quickly and then, with a new filter, and perhaps a filter before the fuel pump, you could eliminate the tank/bad gasoline as an issue.

Had the same problem years ago with a 1968 Lincoln. Back then, the tank had a drain plug! Made my barn find easy to restart!

Try running fuel from gas can with clean gasoline to rule out poor fuel in tank.

X2.

When I drug mine out of the barn, we could get her to run as long as we were dumping something in the carb. Got a long piece of fuel hose and stuck it in a gas can sitting on the fender (mine are flat and wide on top). She ran fine...until the diaphram in the old fuel pump gave out. New pump and she ran fine.

You may be able to disconnect and blow out the main fuel line, and drop and clean out the tank and all will be well. Mine had sat for so long the line was just too crud'd up and the tank was just too far gone. You're looking at a couple hundred bucks to simply replace both and have no future worries or clean what you can and maybe deal with a clogged filter later down the road. You'll know when it's clogged because the car will idle but not stay running with throttle applied. Good luck either way.

Like cordoba-rick says, try running a gas can directly to the fuel pump. Worked for me.

Well, new pump and still no go. The old one was definitely shot so replacing it was a good idea anyway, but barely getting anything out of the pump after unhooking the line from the it to the carb. Going to take Dakos advice and run some line from a jerry can to the pump and see what happens. I'm sure it's just full of crap and I've wasted 20 bucks on good fuel! I'll get this beast to run come hell or high water!

Sure would be nice if she wasn't sitting 5 miles south of town in a field though!

Got my Black Magnum GT home by running a new electric fuel pump through all new hoses to a 5gal tank in the passengers side floor and had my T-tops off.

I did the same thing when my mechanical pump died. Just make sure all your hoses are clamped tight if you do this.

Well, after sitting idle for 16 years, she runs again! Even got it moved out of the 4 inch ruts it was sitting in! Couldn't move far as one tire is nearly off the rim, but heading out tonight with a spare to bolt on and then a short drive to make sure everything works before the drive home!

Click on the pictures to see some video.

th_A65DD908-AD13-4A4F-BD36-7A44184176AC-775-00000052615FA787.jpg

th_C9834E53-65E1-4143-850B-E9FAE03868F2-775-0000004F4C071DA1.jpg

Well, after sleeping for 16 years she finally saw the road again last night, if only briefly! Couldn't get it to stay running without feathering the throttle and after an hour of fiddling with the carb, I said to hell with it and started packing up to come home. So the last thing I grab is the little jerry can we had doubling as the gas tank, and it turns out my buddy had the fuel line duct taped awkward and it was partially pinched off!! I'm not too sure if it was exactly the problem, but at that time I was so pissed off I said to hell with it and came home.
I'm hoping that's the problem as you can see in one of the other videos I posted, it was running just fine.

Anyway, here's a short vid from last night. If you listen closely, you can hear me working the throttle like a madman to keep it going!

th_1C3433FB-1A3D-4AE3-AF5E-37B4AF513E23-1638-00000102010D72BC.jpg

Damn, still a no go. I guess I owe my buddy an apology! I'm
Ordering a carb rebuild kit tomorrow and doing that over the weekend. It's definitely a fuel issue as it will (sort of) idle and rev if you feather the pedal, but nothing over 3000 and you can't maintain that rpm, it just falls on its face. I'm
Thinking the float is stuck and the needle and seat are full of crap. Oh well, it did sit for 16 years, can't expect it to run like a top!

Call me crazy but I think I might have found the reason why I can't keep the car running.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

And here's after a good soak.
photo 3.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back