• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

alternator amp and elec ignition question

blacdog2

Local time
11:59 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know what amp alternator I need for a 68 dodge charger woth a 383? Also anyone changed over to electronic dist/ ignition? Was it hard to install?

Your alternator depend on what electrical upgrades you have added to your car.

If you are wanting to know what was standard for the 68 Charger, Standard on V 8's were a 34.5 amp alt. The heavy duty was a 44 amp and the special equipment alt was a 51 amp. Info comes from the 1965-1972 Chiltons Auto manual. Hope this helps.

all im seeing is 60 amp replacements. i wanna get the nasty old stock one off and replace it with a nicce shiny chrome and was wondering what amp i need. also anyone here put in one of the electronic dist and boxes on a charger with 383? was wondering how hard it would be to do. the old dist has a busted vac advance and i cant find the right one anywere, reason being the rod that goes to the points plate from the vac advance canister the rod had the pin pointing up and all the ones ive found are pointing down???? anyone know why????

Call mancini Racing they will have the parts for your distributor. Or get an electric replacement from them with vacum advance. Alternator go to power master. They sell on ebay. If you are going to stay with stock wiring under dash, then stay with 60 amp max.

The big deal with a more powerful Alt. that has, oh lets say, 100 amps is when you go full tilt on a need to charge. Actually, more than half way is a problem.

The issue is in the wires themselfs not being ready for such large dose's of juice. The first short coming is the fuseable link. That'll pop right away. Been there done that, replaced it with a hard wire.

Next down the line is the AMP gauge. Go here to learn how to get around that issue with a AMP to VBolt gauge swap.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Your other wires will take it since there not going to see high amps. But a few others will suffer after a while of crazy power charging.

OTHERWISE, you'll be fine. Been there, done that, lived throught it for years without issues. Again, just avoid the charging of a dead battery cause the power will kill stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back