• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator Output Spec?

Here I posted a test chart of a late 80 amps alt I got looong time ago… Beck-Arnley brand.

were chrysler square back "78 AMP" alternator true 78amp or just marketed that way by chrysler ?

just to check as kinda reference of the alt output along the alt RPMs which came with small double pulley used on those years to get more juice from them.
Thanks Nacho! Interesting! That data Nacho looks very similar to what I saw on the bench test of my unit but it went to 109A max. So the curve might be similar or a little steeper.

Running (2) fans and incadescent headlights the total load will be > 50AMPs continuous...
I would recommend that U double-check and possibly upgrade the complete OE wiring system..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:
Actually I am running the fans off a separate circuit using a relay. Same with the headlights. So they are NOT loading any of the original wiring.

What accessories are you running that require a 100+ amp alt?
The main reason to get high output rate alts on our cars is guarantee the good output at iddle, not due the need for the max output. Mopars are known by its low alt capacity at low speeds due its design, causing several problems that I have already explained on several threads. Sure is better get it accomplished with a couple more of upgrades, but a more efficient alt is the first step to a healthier charging system.

Auto Transport Service
Back