• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator Pulley Belt issue

Slant 6 Music

Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
This is not so much an electrical issue as it is mechanical in nature.

I bought a Tuff Stuff 130 amp Chrysler Alternator. It has a pressed on pulley. Otherwise I would just switch out pulleys with the old alternator (which was replaced at some time). But not sure that would be a fix.

The issue is that the Gates XL alternator belt (7460) I bought doesn't seat all the way in, which causes the belt to slip and squeal and not charge the car. This belt has the traction nubs on the inside of it. Yes, I have the alternator pulled tight. It's not a slack issue.

The old belt I had was some generic one, don't know the mfgr. It had the nubs on the outside of the belt. It is slightly worn, which maybe helps, I don't know. But it sits in there no problem. So I'm using it again.

Can anyone recommend a belt that doesn't have the nubs on the inside. I think maybe the pitch might be slightly different on the Gates belt.

Thanks

Gates belts seem to be hard and that leads to slipping. I like to avoid them.

The real problem is the 130 amps. Why do you feel you need so much? Can the wiring handle that? Are you adding stereo or power drawing accessories?

Is the battery low or is the system wanting lots of amps from this 130 amp alt and the belt can’t keep from slipping with a high demand? A belt rarely slips with zero load on it.

Last edited:
All good questions. Bigger is better I guess. I may be doing those upgrades as well as a voltage limiter board.

Gates belts seem to be hard and that leads to slipping. I like to avoid them.

The real problem is the 130 amps. Why do you feel you need so much? Can the wiring handle that? Are you adding stereo or power drawing accessories?

Is the battery low or is the system wanting lots of amps from this 130 amp alt and the belt can’t keep from slipping with a high demand? A belt rarely slips with zero load on it.
slips only when blipping the throttle.

Don't blip the throttle! Unless you drive that way.

Go to an old auto parts store with a crusty counter guy and ask for a low profile belt, it must lye in the grove but not equal in height to grove tops.

This is not so much an electrical issue as it is mechanical in nature.

I bought a Tuff Stuff 130 amp Chrysler Alternator. It has a pressed on pulley. Otherwise I would just switch out pulleys with the old alternator (which was replaced at some time). But not sure that would be a fix.

The issue is that the Gates XL alternator belt (7460) I bought doesn't seat all the way in, which causes the belt to slip and squeal and not charge the car. This belt has the traction nubs on the inside of it. Yes, I have the alternator pulled tight. It's not a slack issue.

The old belt I had was some generic one, don't know the mfgr. It had the nubs on the outside of the belt. It is slightly worn, which maybe helps, I don't know. But it sits in there no problem. So I'm using it again.

Can anyone recommend a belt that doesn't have the nubs on the inside. I think maybe the pitch might be slightly different on the Gates belt.

Thanks
Perhaps your old belt was a DAYCO TOP GOG.....the ribs on the OD of the belt were thought to provide greater flexibility over smaller diameter sheaves, like the alternator. Not sure if they're still produced. Go to DAYCO's web site.... www.dayco.com.
BOB RENTON

I won’t use them belts with the cogs on the inside. Learned that many years ago when working on Oldsmobiles. Top Cog is likely what u had. I like them. Kim

Perhaps your old belt was a DAYCO TOP GOG.....the ribs on the OD of the belt were thought to provide greater flexibility over smaller diameter sheaves, like the alternator. Not sure if they're still produced. Go to DAYCO's web site.... www.dayco.com.
BOB RENTON
Yes, went to Rock Auto and looked at Dayco (easier to look up) and it's that style, so likely it. But I don't like that look. I'm using the old one for now though. thanks for your help.

Go to an old auto parts store with a crusty counter guy and ask for a low profile belt, it must lye in the grove but not equal in height to grove tops.
Actually found a place like that, guy was of no help. I'll find something out there. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back