• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a diffenent alternator tensioning bracket

canblue

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
I have a GM Alternator, Delco/Remi Part No. 1101028 — Part 27SI/100 (12V-NEG-80A) W/RESISTOR. It came the car. I had to replace the mechanical fuel pump, used a Quick Fuel 30-440 unit. I now have a clearance problem. Using old belt the alternator is hitting the fuel pump. Found a belt that just fit. The tensioner bracket is maxed out and the belt now slips. A lot short on money as I had to replace the oil pan due to center link hitting the pan. Looked at a one wire Mopar type alternator, too much $$. I just need an extral 1/2 in the adjusting slot.

Thanks.

Any suggestions not involving big $. FYI, no welder or fab facilities, just a driveway work bench.

2023-11-11 002.JPG

2023-11-11 003.JPG

I have a GM Alternator, Delco/Remi Part No. 1101028 — Part 27SI/100 (12V-NEG-80A) W/RESISTOR. It came the car. I had to replace the mechanical fuel pump, used a Quick Fuel 30-440 unit. I now have a clearance problem. Using old belt the alternator is hitting the fuel pump. Found a belt that just fit. The tensioner bracket is maxed out and the belt now slips. A lot short on money as I had to replace the oil pan due to center link hitting the pan. Looked at a one wire Mopar type alternator, too much $$. I just need an extral 1/2 in the adjusting slot.

Thanks.

Any suggestions not involving big $. FYI, no welder or fab facilities, just a driveway work bench.

View attachment 1555473

View attachment 1555474
Have you thought about using the original Mopar alt with the stock brackets?

Have you thought about using the original Mopar alt with the stock brackets?
Yes. I thought about that. It needs to be a 1 wire unit and really cheap. Really short on cash. Things in Canada are more expensive when items are listed in US$. Shipping is another expensive thing. I am trying to deal with what I have -- little money and no solution that does not need $$.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
I just had the car converted to OEM power steering by a shop and few there items that needed attenton, that chewed up $$. Retired and things are tight.

Take the belt off and go to local part store and ask for next size shorter belt.
Or see I f they'll let you in the back and find what you need

Cannot do that. The alternator is almost hitting the fuel pump. The next smalleer size will cause the alternator to hit(rest on)the fuel pump. Was looking forward to fixing this problem before I put the car away for the winter. Looks like this will not happen. Will have to start saving the pennies.
Thanks for the reply.

Looks like it would be pretty easy to lengthen the adjusting strap.

Looks like it would be pretty easy to lengthen the adjusting strap.
Yup... Add material to the end attached to the water pump... Cut off about 1.5" of the stepped area and add 3" on the backside so the new material acts as the step..

Unbolt the bracket before parking the car & you'll have 6 months to get it fixed before the snow melts...

You've got to know someone that welds... It's not that rare of a skill...

Last edited:
Don't know where in Ontario you are. I have a welder and fab skills. I'm 45 minutes from the Ambassador bridge.
Doug

12 years here and 35 posts? Ontario is a damn big place, but drop by and I'll fix it for you with my extra large hammer... :poke:

And that's the point... It's a five minute job.... Lots of guys here have the skills & tools needed... Just gotta reach out & make connections... Might find out there are still good people closer than you realize...

Exactly. If he's close I can pull that adjuster, cut the end slot out and put a new end on it in 20 minutes or less... or it's free !

Yes. I thought about that. It needs to be a 1 wire unit and really cheap. Really short on cash. Things in Canada are more expensive when items are listed in US$. Shipping is another expensive thing. I am trying to deal with what I have -- little money and no solution that does not need $$.

You're in the wrong hobby.

12 years here and 35 posts? Ontario is a damn big place, but drop by and I'll fix it for you with my extra large hammer... :poke:
Thanks, where in Midland. Daughter lives in Wyevale, used to live in Perkinsfield. Does the hammer weld steel. I have and it jusr makes indentations on metal.:lol:

Thanks for all the replies. Long time member, not too many problems with the car. Site has provied valuable tips and information.:canada::drinks::thumbsup:

Thanks, where in Midland. Daughter lives in Wyevale, used to live in Perkinsfield. Does the hammer weld steel. I have and it jusr makes indentations on metal.:lol:
I'm actually in Penetang, but the offer is valid if you want it fixed.

An alterna(tor)tive....:rolleyes:

Those alternators self-excite at fairly low RPMs I think...bigger pulley?

Just a thought.

Auto Transport Service
Back