• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum engine parts.... painted or bare?

My old 440 looked somewhat factory, went the other direction with the stroker.

A9D9C12D-7126-4CF7-BFE4-0FFB4315D458.jpeg 2E13E681-D70B-4E39-844A-38816B04B11E.jpeg 17E152EC-326F-4DC6-93F5-D934226272DF.jpeg E2FF8162-BE9A-46C3-AEBD-0FEDF2A1E22F.jpeg

This was the "horror of horrors" to keep nice. Made me hate bare aluminum ........never again

35hl8gm.jpg

Painted to look like a stock longblock. I have Stealth aluminum heads, intake water pump housing...
20170604_103742.jpg

I powdercoat the aluminum when possible in the same aluminum colour (not the aluminum heads though). Powdercoating is cheap and you can do yourself. Lots of vids on youtube.

I like the colour contrast but I don't like how bare aluminum looks after a year or two.

I powdercoat the aluminum when possible in the same aluminum colour (not the aluminum heads though). Powdercoating is cheap and you can do yourself. Lots of vids on youtube.

I like the colour contrast but I don't like how bare aluminum looks after a year or two.
So far I've had good luck with strong aluminum wheel cleaner to get the crud off.

I've found that the urethane outlasts the powder coat. I even bondo stuff up. Notice there is no INDY logo on the end of my heads.
Doug

There are some really great looking engines in this thread.
The attention to detail highlights the passion these silly cars elicit. :lowdown:

I liked the look of the bare aluminum intake, also have aluminum water pump but cant't hardly see it once the pulley is on.
eng.jpg

Funny, from the multitude of Mopar experts, only one noticed the heads aren't cast iron. I wasn't trying to fool anyone. Just like the period look.

20180824_150210.jpg

Try Auto Zone or a hardware store that carries Rustoleum products.Even Wal Mart. I believe I bought it at True Value.

Hey Colorado Dave, the photo of the single 4 bbl Hemi Intake was the orange one that I got from you.

I have an aluminum intake, water pump, and housing that will be going on the 383 build in the near future. Just wondering what everyone does with regards to paint. First option, leave them bare. Second is to paint them an aluminum color. Third opinion is to paint them same color as engine. If you guys can show me some pics to help me with my choice, that would be great. Thanks

The first thing is to decide if you like the whole engine painted or if you like the look of aluminum on the engine.

Second, bare aluminum will oxidize over time. It will go dull so your idea of painting it is a solid idea. Just use the highest heat paint you can find.

IF you plan to keep the intake and engine configuration permanently, consider powered coating. This intake was done by LeAnna, Cudachick68. The color is “Alien Silver.”

196C2492-8C42-41AE-BC1E-BC594A93CC63.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back