• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum head question

Red63440

Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
Since you can't use a steel gasket on them what do you use where the bath tub gasket seals against the head?

you can use the stock valley pan gasket. it doesn't have to seal against cylinder and water pressure like a head gasket does. or, you can use an aftermarket valley cover and felpro papers were the manfold/head bolts up.

Or, the valley pan gasket with the paper on both sides....

Oh god don't use after market ug trust me lol. Stock valley pan and aviation sealant no paper.

Here is a 440source after market, at least what it looked like after I pryed it off to put on a stock one

IMAG0551.gif

Oh god don't use after market ug trust me lol. Stock valley pan and aviation sealant no paper.

Here is a 440source after market, at least what it looked like after I pryed it off to put on a stock one

IMAG0551.gif

Did you use RTV to install the stock gasket? Not sure what "Aviation sealant" you used.

Permatex makes a goop called aviation sealant(sticky as hell but never fully hardens it;s perfect forgot who mentioned it here but he is a genius.) I put that **** on everything. lol anyway I used it along all areas were oil will make contact, Yes I get carried away but after that hunk of **** from 440source it was worth it.

I did use some around the areas were the manifold is just to make sure a good seal was going to make. and so far no leaks.

IMAG0608.gif

Do I need hardened washers with these heads, anyone know where I can get an inexpensive set if I do need them?

Yes, you really should use a good strong washer under the head bolts. If you get ARP bolts those come with washers, otherwise you can get washers at McMaster-Carr

Yes, you really should use a good strong washer under the head bolts. If you get ARP bolts those come with washers, otherwise you can get washers at McMaster-Carr

Would you happen to know what size I would need??

The heads that I talked to the owner about have about 20,000 miles on them, should I be concerned??:edgy:

You can use the stock bathtub gasket with aluminum heads.
The aluminum heads have smaller pockets around the bolt holes and use head bolts with reduced sized wrenching head so you can get a socket on them. The bolt kit will include hardened washers.

Do yourself a favor,,,, Just save for a little longer and buy ARP head bolts...... It takes all of the question work right out of it.
It comes with washers as already stated, and a lube for even/accurate torque of the bolts.

I talked to the owner of the heads again last night and was told that they "may" need work due to the mileage on them. In the mean time I did some searching and found another set of heads...cast iron.....more to come later. Thanks to all that asnwered the questions, good info and all will probably put to use at a later time.

Auto Transport Service
Back