• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum Heads/Intake Manifold And Expansion Contraction

Bee1971

Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
My third summer on my 383/432 Stroker - First motor with Aluminum Heads

Engine has been pretty much flawless other then some ignition issues

Anyways Edelbrock E Street Heads 75cc / Weiand Dual Plane 8008 Aluminum Intake

Edelbrock AVS2 800 Carb

Running the Fel Pro 1214 Valley Pan along with the fiber gaskets

This summer I noticed oil drops on my valley pan under the intake manifold

Things got progressively worse when I noticed the top fiber gaskets under the intake looked like they where moving up towards the valve covers

Anyways I pulled the intake manifold last night - All the ARP bolts where tight snug (25 ft lbs torque)

Those top two fiber gaskets on the valley pan where not only moving but also ripped in places by the intake runners - The bolt holes on the top fiber gaskets where elongated

Bottom two fiber gaskets under the valley pan on the aluminum heads where perfect condition

I know a lot of guys don’t use these fiber gaskets period , just the tin valley pan alone

I guess I have always let the Intake Manifold fit decide on fiber gaskets or not , two / four or none

But everything fit really nice honestly , and the intake manifold bolts started fine when I built the motor

Block was just decked , cleaned up from the machine shop per my request , as I knew running these 75cc heads my compression would bee 10.5-1 already

Anyways , I got everything cleaned up today

When I drop the intake manifold dry on the heads without any gaskets or valley pan , intake fits and looks really nice - Corners of intake are not hitting anything , not even close . The threaded holes on the heads are sitting near the top of the intake manifold holes for the bolts

Anyways going back to the expanding / contracting of aluminum heads and aluminum intakes

Debating on what to do next putting this back together - Suggestions please , Also wasn’t impressed with the Permatex liquid white threaded sealant for the intake manifold bolts and weeping oil

Combo effect with oil on Valley Pan and looked like oil in intake runners on heads

Anyways sorry for the long thread

Last edited:
Permatex 3 Will prevent leaks but is tedious to clean up should you have to change it again

Last edited:
You used a total of 4 paper gaskets on each bank? That's too much, your asking for trouble, IMO.

With aluminum heads and intake, I've had good luck with no paper gasket between the valley pan and head (spray with copper gasket sealer), and one (with a thin smeared layer of RTV) between valley pan and intake. Set on engine dry first and check bolt holes.

As for the bolt threads, never had an issue with black RTV on the threads. I use it on the water pump bolts too.

Last edited:
Four Total included with Fel Pro #1214

Two on each bank

The fiber gasket on each side between the head and valley pan where perfect

It’s the top two gaskets , one on each side that moved under expansion and contraction between the intake manifold and valley pan - They came loose and moved up towards the valve covers and both ripped around the intake ports

I sprayed the fiber gaskets when brand new and stuck them to the valley pan using this

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...ts/permatex-high-tack-spray-a-gasket-sealant/

I've never seen that before. I think my next move would be to check the mating surfaces with a straight edge and feeler gauge.
Extra gaskets on a decked block would make the fitment worse, but you say the bolt holes line up good, so I'm at a loss.

I always use four paper gaskets, and have not had that problem. I believe that I torque them to 35 ft lbs.

I've never seen that before. I think my next move would be to check the mating surfaces with a straight edge and feeler gauge.
Extra gaskets on a decked block would make the fitment worse, but you say the bolt holes line up good, so I'm at a loss.

Straight edge , feeler gauge , everything looks perfect

I always use four paper gaskets, and have not had that problem. I believe that I torque them to 35 ft lbs.

What do you use for adhesive or sealant if anything ?

35# I might try that next along with Superformance Intake Gaskets with the Tin

I torque them to what is in the service manual and I don't have it here to check. I'm going by memory, so check before you take my word for it. I use what ever is handy on my shelf. Aviation sealant, High Tack........I use it only between the paper and the pan. I use a thin smear of lithium grease or Lubriplate 105 (again, handy on the self) between the paper and the head and paper and intake. Makes quick work of changing intakes on the dyno and at the track.

Maybe that is why mine don't tear, IDK.

I initially used Permatex High Tack Spray on gaskets to tin only like I mentioned Earlier

This

Interesting idea - Grease between paper and intake instead of dry - Like

Edelbrock recommendation is 25 # on the intake bolts and I bought some Permatex high temp thread sealant

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back