• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum radiator questions

Splangj

Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
I could use some info from you gearheads out there please. My ‘69 RR 383 came with a 22” radiator. I later installed a 26” 4 row brass job. Many years ago I hit a tree and ruined a couple of the furthest rows back from fan contact, maybe 6 or 7. I bought a plastic shroud for it, but the fit was way off, so I never used it. Later I installed a clutch fan kit from Mopar, but it was too long, so I had to modify that. At low speeds and especially idling, it starts to get pretty hot. If my Summit mechanical gauge is worth anything, it’s gotten near 230 a few times. Thinking of going to an aluminum unit. Hopefully with a shroud that fits. What’s the skinny on the tube sizes? And who’s had good/bad experiences with these radiators? Thanks in advance!

I bought one from COLD CASE it wished I bought a stock radiator. Cold Case radiator works fine but had to rill holes for shroud to work. Also had to go to flex fan because stock fan was going to hit radiator.

I bought this one a few years ago, it was a lot cheaper then! But there was a member that put one on his car, I can’t remember who, but he didn’t have issues. I like it because it’s kinda stock looking.

With a shroud and the factory clutch fan, I doubt I get over 190 degrees. Vernon Texas does a nostalgia cruise in August, 300 mile round trip, plus a couple of hours cruising, no issues either.

1966-1972 Mopar B & E Body Aluminum 26" Radiator Road Runner Challenger Cuda | eBay

I have a Champion aluminum Ebay 22 inch in my 68 with a 440. I run the Jaguar style short fan clutch with a 7 blade fan. 180 T-stat a good one from NAPA not a Motor rad from Oreillys. No shroud and it stays @ 190 creeps a bit in traffic to 205. This is in 104 heat down here. A shroud would help but why fix if not broke?

I have a 26" aluminum radiator installed in the 22" opening, clutch fan, no shroud, no stat. 500" EDE head, 10.5 CR. One day I drove it in stop & roll cruise for 2 hours 95* air temp. It got to 205 on my gauge Got it out on road at 45 MPH and immediately dropped to 165. At the drag strip in works hard to get to 180*. My radiator is a 2 row 1 inch style. Works good. I also have the trans cooler in front of the rad.

I'd recommend a factory unit, or one from glen-ray... I tried a champion some years ago, fit well but terrible cooling performance, stay away... I have an aluminum from Wizard, fits well in stock mounting, factory shroud fits perfectly, cooling performance is superb

Try some of this too, it actually works

85F6E968-4E06-45FA-95E0-268F3BCFEC62.jpeg

I had a OEM 26" radiator from a 383 A/T E-body I believe. (as per part number)
This thing was giving me high temps as well during summer time of 210-215, I changed it for a brass US Radiator 4-core unit (2-5/8" thick) and runs cool as ice.
Still using the same flex fan and reproduction shroud.
Fan sits about 1/2 - 3/4" away from the core.

Costs a bit more but I guess the radiator will live forever.

Auto Transport Service
Back