• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I screwed up when I miss a pet over a human??

Being retired having some close relationships with people melts away as I see confirmed here. There are just a few where we keep in touch, but mostly buddies from HS. One close work bud passed away suddenly at 50 I’ve posted about. While we often got together years after we left the company, he’d call or email if a few weeks passed giving me chit about not staying in contact. Special sort of person he was and was well liked by many. I gave a eulogy at his memorial service, must have been 400 people there. The story about how we came to know each other was quite strange.

When I was suddenly launched from a company (given a nice leave package I’ve posted about) being in a management position, with about 20 people in my dept and 100 in the branch, branch manager called a meeting to inform everyone of my departure as I walked out the door, of course he gave little details. I got tons of calls and emails asking to know more, a few wrote nice letters, and a few wanted to get together for drinks. At the time I couldn’t say much so as not to risk any hassles with my severance. As we were a nationwide company, having traveled to about every location we had, it was nice how they said they would miss me and liked working with me.

All this had a shelf-life of course. The contacts dwindled away and I faded away. I did make a couple of attempts to connect with a few closer to me; but the responses were short. Notably – brief so ended this fast. I do understand people get wrapped up in their own lives, family, work, we all do. I do and don’t think about making connections as much as I could. I can’t bemoan these people.

MO, our beloved pets are a different story. They wholly depend on us for their well-being and love and they love us back w/o conditions. I despise people who abuse or don’t take care of their pets. A different form of human. As a kid, one time I found a box of four kittens. One was dead, another had a gaping wound and a broken arrow in it. They looked starved. Some SOB used them for target practice. My mother being an animal lover to the max, went ballistic when I brought the box home. We immediately took them to the vet and sadly, the vet said they were so far gone they had to be euthanized.

I Don't know if I should put this here but...
View attachment 1575843
Romeo buddy, Thank you for all the wonderful years. You never, ever failed to put a smile on my face...
Thanks to you who posted the nice words about my pup. After I put up his photo, I sat here and cried for a few minutes. I sometimes can't believe how much this little guy meant to me. ALL of you have made some great points concerning Crankys question. And no Cranky, your not screwed up. We have all been hurt by people, but never by our pets. And Ed, hopefully you won't feel too alone during the holiday because you and your wife will be thinking about each other. Christmas and the holidays gives everyone the perfect reason to try to reach out to others from their past. Try it. You might find something good out there. If not, then it just wasn't meant to be. Last week I got a phone message from a woman who's name I didn't remember at first. Turns out it was my moms sister, my auntie "E". We had lost track of each other more than 35 years ago. My wife and I went to see her on the weekend and had a wonderful reunion. Lots of hugs, lots of tears, lots of smiles and lots of memories. She's pretty much the only person still alive from my moms side of the family. Truth be told and to my shame, I'd really forgotten all about her. Now I have a lovely person back in my life and a connection to my past. Of course if she hadn't of reached out, well...

Last edited:
At our house, the kitties and the pup are never wanting for attention, they get nonstop love, and they give the same back unconditionally. Our dog is my best friend, and I’m hers. We got her as a rescue, it was one of those “take a pup home for Christmas” things at the pet store. The kids wanted one, I said yes, knowing that she wouldn’t be going back. I also knew that I would be the one caring for her, my son was too young, and Nella just can’t do it. I resolved myself to train her my way, and to put myself in her world, not try to make her live in mine. Our walks sometimes took 1 1/2” hours, just down to the boat launch park and back. I never mind stopping while she sniffs her way along, it’s fun to watch her being a dog, and I was always left wonder just what smelled so good. She learned every one word command to a T, because it was always something SHE wanted to do. We made lots of friends along the way, and we would stop and talk, and kids would pet her, bring her water and treats, and she loved every minute of it. We still walk every day, but at 15 years old, she just can’t make it to her beloved “parky” anymore, it’s just too far. So, once a week or so, I drive her down there, just so she can make sure it’s still there. We go to our little park, and she’s happy with that.

As I stated in my other post, a dogs world is a small world, but what a wonderful place it is. And to them, we are their whole world, and not a single person I know can I say that about.

Speaking of appreciating the efforts of others....
Our own site owner just put in a yeomans' effort in sending a personal message to almost 40,000
FBBO members!
Damn, talk about an effort! :thumbsup:

Bytor is pretty aware of bite pressure, she's gentle... Just likes to hold your forearm mostly & never hard... But it's been known to scare the grandkids... Lets see, looks like a wolf... Likes to put body parts in the jaws of dismemberment... :lol: Gotta love that girl....
thumbnail_IMG_1456.jpg

BEAUTIFUL dogs, Wild!
Thanks! Lots of beautiful dogs out there, we've had four generations of Huskies... Love the breed in spite of the constant shedding... I've bought five high end vacuums in the last twenty years.... :lol:

Thanks! Lots of beautiful dogs out there, we've had four generations of Huskies... Love the breed in spite of the constant shedding... I've bought five high end vacuums in the last twenty years.... :lol:
The shedding doesnt bother me much, if it did i wouldnt have four German Shedders.
But I have a barker who can't help himself when he's exited (any time he thinks we are going out to play!). Even my deaf boy barks a bit (very high voice) I think Huskies are the most beautiful dogs..... but I don't think I could deal with the howling. It's cute for a few minutes, but I think it can become tiresome.

The shedding doesnt bother me much, if it did i wouldnt have four German Shedders.
But I have a barker who can't help himself when he's exited (any time he thinks we are going out to play!). Even my deaf boy barks a bit (very high voice) I think Huskies are the most beautiful dogs..... but I don't think I could deal with the howling. It's cute for a few minutes, but I think it can become tiresome.
Out of all the Huskies we've owned we've never had one that howled much... A little back talking now & then to the point of cuteness but never excessively...

My first few dogs were GSD's, awesome animals, very smart & trainable.. But they always seem to scare everyone... (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) My last shepherd was a Belgian Malinois... Great dog but completely insane... I sure miss him...

I'm not nearly as concerned with the shedding as Coral is, she literally vacuums 2-3 times on an average day... If you want vacuum advise I know a little... :rofl:

i didn’t not think your screwed up . i have felt the great sorrow as well . there are times i miss friends and close family and times i miss my babies. the list is getting longer for both , unfortunately.

I met a white husky by accident a few days ago... (bringing a parcel delivered to my house by mistake to proper owner) She wandered out of the house to say hi, while I was talking to the owner. She was seriously Heterochromic, and a sweetheart. She had one vivid light blue eye...
and one dark brown. I've seen the two different color eyes in more huskies than any other animal.

I met a white husky by accident a few days ago... (bringing a parcel delivered to my house by mistake to proper owner) She wandered out of the house to say hi, while I was talking to the owner. She was seriously Heterochromic, and a sweetheart. She had one vivid light blue eye...
and one dark brown. I've seen the two different color eyes in more huskies than any other animal.
Some of the most beautiful dogs. We had a Malamute when I was a kid. His eyes were amazing.

Speaking of appreciating the efforts of others....
Our own site owner just put in a yeomans' effort in sending a personal message to almost 40,000
FBBO members!
Damn, talk about an effort! :thumbsup:
And he didn't even want any replies..
I'll reply here: Thank you Joey for your personal message

Out of all the Huskies we've owned we've never had one that howled much... A little back talking now & then to the point of cuteness but never excessively...

My first few dogs were GSD's, awesome animals, very smart & trainable.. But they always seem to scare everyone... (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) My last shepherd was a Belgian Malinois... Great dog but completely insane... I sure miss him...

I'm not nearly as concerned with the shedding as Coral is, she literally vacuums 2-3 times on an average day... If you want vacuum advise I know a little... :rofl:
We had a rescue malinois for a while. She absolutely loved me, but didn't care for my gf much, and the feeling was mutual, I think. She fooled me when I adopted her, very laid back, till she got to interact with my shepherds. When she hurt my gf's favorite, just playing too hard like a malinois juvenile will do, she had to go. She was re-homed to a good friend of ours, now in a one dog home, very very smart and well trained..... and adored by her owners.

IMG_20211110_065041.jpg

IMG_20211110_065134.jpg

You can ask anyone in my family, if I see a dog somewhere, I want to meet it. I always ask the owner, as I’m very aware of service dog etiquette. I just love dogs, I talk to dogs when we’re out on our walk, when I see them in cars, even when I know they can’t hear me, and I talk to our dog all the time, even though she has lost her hearing. People call me crazy for a lot of reasons, but I just plain love dogs! And they seem to love me.

You can ask anyone in my family, if I see a dog somewhere, I want to meet it. I always ask the owner, as I’m very aware of service dog etiquette. I just love dogs, I talk to dogs when we’re out on our walk, when I see them in cars, even when I know they can’t hear me, and I talk to our dog all the time, even though she has lost her hearing. People call me crazy for a lot of reasons, but I just plain love dogs! And they seem to love me.
I see I'm not alone...

I see I'm not alone...
[/
I have been a cat person all my life, but I have been famous among my friends for being loved by other people's dogs. (As I type this, there's a cat asleep on my lap.)
Now that I have dogs of my own, I can be a dog and cat person, and strangers' dogs still seem to like me fine. But I always ask the owner first if I can say hello. I don't think I have ever been told no.

Last edited:
We had a rescue malinois for a while. She absolutely loved me, but didn't care for my gf much, and the feeling was mutual, I think. She fooled me when I adopted her, very laid back, till she got to interact with my shepherds. When she hurt my gf's favorite, just playing too hard like a malinois juvenile will do, she had to go. She was re-homed to a good friend of ours, now in a one dog home, very very smart and well trained..... and adored by her owners.

View attachment 1576863

View attachment 1576864
My boy Barron was a rescue as well... Also deceived during the adoption, thought he was a really mellow German Shepard, turns out he was sedated... :lol:

His whole litter had been abandoned out in Del Puerto Canyon and where attacked by coyotes... A Sheriff's Deputy found them, three were already dead, Barron and one other were still alive, but in the end the other one passed and Barron was the only survivor.... He had a huge X shaped scar on his left side.... The fur hid it but it was always there..

And a year later a DNA test showed he wasn't exactly a German Shepard, reason for the test? His hips didn't look "German Shepard", they were very square, not the low in the back look....

Whatever, he was a great dog & we loved him...

And a year later a DNA test showed he wasn't exactly a German Shepard, reason for the test? His hips didn't look "German Shepard", they were very square, not the low in the back look....
"American" Shepard?

Auto Transport Service
Back