• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I screwed up when I miss a pet over a human??

pets unconditional love is a world apart from a humans . i've just lost my kitty cat spikoleana , she was a feral yard kitty i befriended over 11 tears ago . she was a great kitty that would jump on me at 6 am everyday . that wasn't fun with a cracked rib , but she didn't mean any harm . here's some pics of her . she was a great kitty , always friends with all the rest of the zoo .

DSC00042.JPG

DSC00933.JPG

DSC01523.JPG

DSC04796.JPG

DSC05811.JPG

DSC06225.JPG

DSC06766.JPG

DSC08079.JPG

DSC09220.JPG

DSC09396.JPG

Not being a big cat fan at one time, growing up with many dogs, we got two kittens for our kids when they were young. Their cat personalities were as opposite as I could imagine. One we named Sugar, being all white, was more like a pooch. Loved attention and I got very close to her. Ironically, Sugar developed diabetes when she was still on the younger side. For a few years had to give her shots, twice a day. Others in the family were afraid to do it so usually if it wasn’t me, it was my dad when we would be away.

Sugar always come for her shot when I’d call her, like she knew it was important. I got adept giving her the injections; only a couple times over the years I could count when she felt the needle. Old age caught up to her and tried to save her by surgeries which in retrospect, I should have let her go. My daughter saw her in the vet hospital and it was obvious she was miserable. She got pretty upset with me laying into me about putting Sugar through the last surgery. Yeah, I was an idiot; just didn’t want to let her go.

About two-weeks after her last surgery, was rushing out to work and saw her in a state I knew was it for her. I had a training meeting with a bunch of people coming from out of town so called my daughter to see if she could take her in knowing all that could be done then was putting her to sleep. Fortunately she had time.

Hell, during the meeting I’d start welling up a bit and pausing to re-collect my train of thought when I’d think about what was Sugar’s last day. Finally, just apologized to the group about my periodic lack of concentration letting them know what was front & center on my mind. Seemed that they all – understood.

My wife and I would be considered cat people. I had a sweet cat (Maggie-May, tells you the era) when we dated and she would look after it when I was off in other states. Unfortunately after we had been married for a while, she got a kidney infection and the vet worked with her a few days but finally had to put her down. We felt a sense of guilt and it bothered us so badly over letting that happen to her and for that reason we have never owned another pet. Now, what we see other people paying in Vet bills reinforces our decision that it’s just not to be. My Brother reportedly sunk $20k into back surgery and therapy for a Dachshund and my Sisters has spent many thousands on her two elderly dogs. But yeah, I get it. I think sone of our friends think as much of their dogs as they do their kids. And those without kids seem to think of their dog as their child.

My wife and I would be considered cat people. I had a sweet cat (Maggie-May, tells you the era) when we dated and she would look after it when I was off in other states. Unfortunately after we had been married for a while, she got a kidney infection and the vet worked with her a few days but finally had to put her down. We felt a sense of guilt and it bothered us so badly over letting that happen to her and for that reason we have never owned another pet. Now, what we see other people paying in Vet bills reinforces our decision that it’s just not to be. My Brother reportedly sunk $20k into back surgery and therapy for a Dachshund and my Sisters has spent many thousands on her two elderly dogs. But yeah, I get it. I think sone of our friends think as much of their dogs as they do their kids. And those without kids seem to think of their dog as their child.
Through the years I don't recall my dogs putting me through much (any) drama.... I wish that were true of Coral's son....

For what it's worth, I lost my little dog buddy a few months back and I miss him every day. Except for
family, I can't think of any person from the past that I really miss on a continuous basis.
I’m sorry for your loss

Nope.. my last dog died 9 years ago and i miss it more than even family members.. it's kinda fucked up.
It’s not F‘d up. I have family members I wouldn’t piss on if they were on fire.

If so, then I'm screwed up!! I miss my dad a lot and over any pet but....my pets have been way better than any woman that's ever been in my life and I've given it a lot of thought. Maybe I need to be more picky about the women that come into my life.....
NO

I miss many of my animals more than humans

I guess it depends on who...

& yes you need to be more selective about your women
or in your case be celibate,
is it all that important to have a woman in your life ?
after multiple failed relationships, now at your age ? 70+

just throwing it out there
no offense meant, relationship or age-wise...

For those that have lost pets in the past, I'm sorry and know what it's like having been there too many times. Heck, one time is too many. I guess the only human that I still miss is my dad....but even then, it's not the same as losing a pet. The bond with a pet is different is all I can say.

I reckon most of us have been around long enough to have had experience with people we'd just as soon
forget... and by the same token, ditto with pets we can't forget....

Y'all know we lost Sasha just recently and it still gnaws at my heart, to the point I cannot fathom ever having
another pup. In a lifetime of always having a dog or three around, I've been without since she passed.
I tell my wife I'm all out of what it takes to be a good steward of a pet anymore; it got used up with Sasha.
sasha cwm gtx and me.jpg

Now, people?
I've spent a lifetime also being seemingly constantly disappointed in people; it probably has a lot to do
with knowing that humans know better, yet constantly choose not to strive to do right with one another
seemingly.
I say that knowing full well I've failed someone sometimes myself, don't get me wrong....but never did
so intentionally.

Now, the "missing" part....
This Christmas season is of particular difficulty for me, some might recall - I've told stories here of how
both my parents passed during this season (my Pop, dang his hide, on Christmas morning!) and how
most of my family has gone on now, too.
I miss the parents like hell, of course - as I do with my little brother, now gone 30 years - and I add to
the list the best friend I ever had, who left a couple years back also.
My wife is going to be leaving to go visit her mom next week (she's likely not to make another Christmas,
sadly), so she won't be here either - but at least in past years, I had my dog(s) to keep me company...

To finish that all off, I just resigned my position with the company I'd landed with over 3 years ago after
a long spell hurting for work and will be starting a new, better, $$$ gig with a new one January 1 -
all good, of course - but you know what kills me about that?
Not a damn one of those former co-workers has so much as texted or called me since I quit.
Not one, despite all the times I've gone out of my way for many of them and always greeted them with
the best.
So yeah.....humans disappointing me yet again.

By the way, I suck at waiting. I suck even more at being idle (wife calls it "recharging").
*sigh*
It's shaping up to be a hell of a Christmas, eh?

Throw your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car, drive around for an hour see what one licks your face when you let them out!
Animals get to me, I tear up a little when I loose one of the stray cats that live in my barn.

Not a damn one of those former co-workers has so much as texted or called me since I quit.
Not one, despite all the times I've gone out of my way for many of them and always greeted them with
the best.
I hear you on that......I don't recall the last time a former co-worker or friend called on me just to shoot the sh*t. A couple of current friends is all I need.
I have 30,000 other people worldwide to communicate with now....who needs real people? :lol: Sure...most of them don't like me, but what the hey. :poke:

I hear you on that......I don't recall the last time a former co-worker or friend called on me just to shoot the sh*t. A couple of current friends is all I need.
I have 30,000 other people worldwide to communicate with now....who needs real people? :lol: Sure...most of them don't like me, but what the hey. :poke:
I appreciate it and honestly, I was thinking of deleting my post early this AM - it just sort of stream of consciousness-ed
its' way out of my fingers last night and I'm now concerned it was out of place on Cranky's thread.
Apologies if so Mr. Cranky. No offense meant.

To the subject, I'm thinking at this point again that I've managed to outlive my expiration date.
I acquire friends very sparingly (and of course, family numbers to me is pretty much set at this point), so it's
a sum-loss situation as time goes on - made worse by the season, the cold that goes with it and the relative isolation
of where I chose to live 30 years ago.
I dug the hole - gotta lie in it.

Agreed. Many others thought we were crazy for saving her but we knew she had a lot of life left in her. We had to double cage her and write “PET not a wild duck” so no one would release her. There were many mallards everyday and night that came by to see her…

View attachment 1575555
I love this story. Yes, even ducks can be great pets, but most people don’t see that in a duck. I grew up on a farm and we had a lot of ducks, they loved to go to the pond next door and hang out all day, then come back for dinner. Kinda like the Piedmont Ducks! Kudos to you for saving that guy and helping him live his best life!

I reckon most of us have been around long enough to have had experience with people we'd just as soon
forget... and by the same token, ditto with pets we can't forget....

Y'all know we lost Sasha just recently and it still gnaws at my heart, to the point I cannot fathom ever having
another pup. In a lifetime of always having a dog or three around, I've been without since she passed.
I tell my wife I'm all out of what it takes to be a good steward of a pet anymore; it got used up with Sasha.
View attachment 1576057

Now, people?
I've spent a lifetime also being seemingly constantly disappointed in people; it probably has a lot to do
with knowing that humans know better, yet constantly choose not to strive to do right with one another
seemingly.
I say that knowing full well I've failed someone sometimes myself, don't get me wrong....but never did
so intentionally.

Now, the "missing" part....
This Christmas season is of particular difficulty for me, some might recall - I've told stories here of how
both my parents passed during this season (my Pop, dang his hide, on Christmas morning!) and how
most of my family has gone on now, too.
I miss the parents like hell, of course - as I do with my little brother, now gone 30 years - and I add to
the list the best friend I ever had, who left a couple years back also.
My wife is going to be leaving to go visit her mom next week (she's likely not to make another Christmas,
sadly), so she won't be here either - but at least in past years, I had my dog(s) to keep me company...

To finish that all off, I just resigned my position with the company I'd landed with over 3 years ago after
a long spell hurting for work and will be starting a new, better, $$$ gig with a new one January 1 -
all good, of course - but you know what kills me about that?
the best.

By the way, I suck at waiting. I suck even more at being idle (wife calls it "recharging").
*sigh*
It's shaping up to be a hell of a Christmas, eh?
There's a pup out there, somewhere, looking for a good forever home. Open your heart and you'll fall in love again. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

I appreciate it and honestly, I was thinking of deleting my post early this AM - it just sort of stream of consciousness-ed
its' way out of my fingers last night and I'm now concerned it was out of place on Cranky's thread.
Apologies if so Mr. Cranky. No offense meant.

To the subject, I'm thinking at this point again that I've managed to outlive my expiration date.
I acquire friends very sparingly (and of course, family numbers to me is pretty much set at this point), so it's
a sum-loss situation as time goes on - made worse by the season, the cold that goes with it and the relative isolation
of where I chose to live 30 years ago.
I dug the hole - gotta lie in it.
Apologies, Sometimes **** goes sideways and we just get to watch. Life can and is a bitch sometimes. Some of us get to suffer more than others. Some of us have seen a lot and a lot of it wasn't good. This time of the year brings back good and bad memories and you'd be surprised how many people feel like you do.

I get Christmas cards, to this day, from people I have helped that never forgot it. I have known people I carried for years that ran out of shame at the end of the game that were and still are useless. I did and do, for others because it's what I do. I get or got off on the fact that I can and did make a difference. Some of my true friends look at me with love and sometimes pitty, it doesn't matter. I'm just fine in this world, some of it I created and some they threw at me. Screw them!! Life has no reverse, we just keep moving forward and live with it. We all live with it the best we can and remember, we only have two hands, don't try to hold more than they can hold, the rest is spillage that comes with the trip though life, the good, bad or the ugly. Look up and keep smiling, it's not just you out there.......Be safe..... Ulli

Last edited:
It's taken a few years to get back into Christmas. It was always the big time of the year for Mom. She always went whole-hog on decorating, and loved it! When she died on Christmas Eve 2012, my heart for Christmas just wasn't there. It was that way for probably three years afterwards. I got very sad each year to the point where I wanted to go to work instead; nevermind, not a soul would be there except the security guys. Of course, I didn't go to work. But it was bad for a few years. In 2015, I had been out of work for two months when Christmas rolled around. First time I had been out of work since the mid-'70s. That was a very low point. I woke up two days before Christmas and decided to "get over it". And that was a real turning point for me. I got out of my self-imposed funk and started doing positive things and moving around, turning wrenches and just living again. I got my present job a couple of months later and things truly turned around for the better. Sometimes being at the bottom of the hole is what it takes to get back up to the top.

Oh, and I'll never, ever be without a dog. Or a cat. We've got one of each, and they are marvelous critters!

Auto Transport Service
Back