• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMD Coronet Bumpers

JimKueneman

Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
Anyone buy the AMD bumpers for their '68-'69 Coronet? How close to the original are they? Did they fit well? Finish quality?

Jim

I bought front and rear for my road runner. fit like a glove, and look like factory chrome. Not show chrome. still look great 5 years later.

I remember reading that jason79 had issues with his bumpers, thought they were new AMD....something about a gap difference??

I have heard mixed reviews but amd stands behind their products.....

Are the AMD bumpers Taiwan sourced? My Road Runner has bumpers stamped only with "TAIWAN", and although they are approaching 9 years old and look acceptable, you can tell the chrome is very thin.

My recommendation would be a re-chrome of the originals.

Are the AMD bumpers Taiwan sourced? My Road Runner has bumpers stamped only with "TAIWAN", and although they are approaching 9 years old and look acceptable, you can tell the chrome is very thin.

My recommendation would be a re-chrome of the originals.
High probability.....

most explore this route because they either have damaged bumpers or no bumpers......these days good viable bumpers are not easily found....I would pay up myself personally to do originals because they typically carry a lifetime warranty as long as you own them....

Anyone have recent experience with this company?

http://www.tricityplating.com/

I had them restore my Coronet and Duster bumpers in the 1980s. Don't remember the price, but the quality was Rolls Royce level.

Anyone have recent experience with this company?

http://www.tricityplating.com/

I had them restore my Coronet and Duster bumpers in the 1980s. Don't remember the price, but the quality was Rolls Royce level.
Absolutely.....they do all my bumpers....They are finishing the rear bumper to my X....

Top notch and stand behind their work 100%

Absolutely.....they do all my bumpers....They are finishing the rear bumper to my X....

Top notch and stand behind their work 100%
Back in the 1980s you had only two choices for MOPAR bumpers; junk yard, or rechrome. My Coronet front bumper had some minor rash and pitting, and the rear bumper had a small ding. Tri City restored to like new. My Duster just needed rechrome on the front bumper. I lived in Louisville, KY and Cincinnati, OH at that time, and just drove the bumpers down and visited friends.

I think knowing Jim's high standards he should go with Tri City rather than Taiwan sourced bumpers.

Back in the 1980s you had only two choices for MOPAR bumpers; junk yard, or rechrome. My Coronet front bumper had some minor rash and pitting, and the rear bumper had a small ding. Tri City restored to like new. My Duster just needed rechrome on the front bumper. I lived in Louisville, KY and Cincinnati, OH at that time, and just drove the bumpers down and visited friends.

I think knowing Jim's high standards he should go with Tri City rather than Taiwan sourced bumpers.
I don't disagree.....it depends on what one has and can afford......but I would wait till you could

Every car I have or had had tric citys work done to the bumpers 11 sets so far.....How many have I returned....ONE the rear bumper to the X....Was it their mistake...NOPE...I failed to fit the bumpers guards prior to shipping it and never asked them to fit them, my mistake completely....Their response, send it back and we will make it right.....(at my cost but it should be)....

My second choice is Pauls Chrome.....but once you go tri city and deal with them personally no one else exists IMHO..

I remember reading that jason79 had issues with his bumpers, thought they were new AMD....something about a gap difference??
The bumpers themselves were nice. It was the rear mounting brackets that sucked. I will be removing them this winter and modifying the brackets. Front brackets were fine.
20170806_232656.jpg

Rear bumper for my 68 plymouth is an AMD got it through jegs..fit exactly like the original, maybe a tad better but the chrome is only so-so, not as thick as factory...looking close you can see a few marks from the polisher, like faint brush strokes under the chrome..it's a driver so I'm good with it for $369 to my door

check out bumper boys out of CA. they are at carlisle all the time and you cant beat the price good quality im sure the work is done in mexico due to their location

like faint brush strokes under the chrome
EXACTLY. Good description. That is what my 'Taiwan' bumpers look like and at certain angles it is really noticeable.

check out bumper boys out of CA. they are at carlisle all the time and you cant beat the price good quality im sure the work is done in mexico due to their location

Not in a million years will I ever get bumpers from them...Bing these guys and see for yourself why! The negatives about Bumper Boyz are legendary in scope. Any business with a "z" at the end like that, I won't do business with, anyway.

have NEVER heard any good about them

Bumper Boyz bumpers are horrible. I've seen them up close. Stay away.

I agree with these guys, bumper boyz are to be avoided...

Auto Transport Service
Back