• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Racing wheels - hub centric or lug centric?

euroz06

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
So at my brake job, the shop pointed out that I don't have hubcentric adapters. It seems they are centered by the lugs, and my installer indicated its not a good way to do it.

Is this accurate? I can't find clear answer online. Also, can someone tell the rear hub size (drums) and front hub size (disc) - 68 charger.
IMG_7515.JPG
IMG_7516.JPG

Many (most) custom wheels are lug nut centric. Imaging how many different wheels the manufacturers would have to produce for all the hub sizes are available back to the 50's and beyond.

You do realize that there are a couple cars out there with lug centered wheels.

I sure hope that was a before the brake job photo. Those rotors look like a poor machine job.

Like @pnora said, at least a couple cars. I don't know, but I think mine might be. LOL Am I worried? No RUFFCUT

100_0241 (1).JPG

100_0146.JPG

100_0138.JPG

I had a rough time trying to get my Magnum 500's balanced here 40 miles West of Chicago because
no one has the Lug-Centric adapters for their balance machines. If the minimum wage tech doesn't
know his *** from a hole in the ground, they'll use a centering cone and every time they mount the
wheel on the balancer it will be different! Out of five local Discount Tire stores, one had the adapter.
Luckily, the guy knew what he was doing. He said that he didn't know why all of the stores don't have
them.

Hub centric is better all right but just because you have lug centric doesn't mean you're going to die if you drive over 20 MPH like the 25 year old at Walmart Tire shop would have you believe.

I made up some aluminum hub centric adaptors for my Cragar SS wheels and found some of the correct dimensions for my Torq Thrust II wheels when I upgraded. Making the adaptors for the Cragars was kind of a fun little lathe project. I prefer to have the adaptors in since that was how the centring was originally designed. For the Torq Thrust II wheels, I originally got plastic rings, but later upgraded to aluminum ones from Just For Wheels Inc. Cheers!

IMHO hub-centric wheels are better, but not critical. People have been running lug-centric mags on their cars for decades and suddenly now it's considered a problem? I run lug-centric wheels on my road race car well into triple digits for 40 minutes per race and they are smooth as silk. I just have them balanced on a road-force machine at Discount Tire and bolt them on.

factory hub sizes are 2.810 od. for rear axles and front discs. factory steel wheels have an id. of 2.815-2.820.

yes every american race rim is like that , never had an issue with any of my vintage one that are 60 years old . even the magnesium versions had a lug nut centering . those first one was on 62 ply savoy melrose plymouth 2 car that tommy grove ran 165ish mph at bonnevile saly flats . guessing that lug centering works .

DSC01476.JPG

DSC01477.JPG

DSC09343.JPG

DSC09345.JPG

DSC09346.JPG

DSC03441.JPG

DSC03979.JPG

DSC03980.JPG

Most wheel manufacturers ave seperate hub rings available for the different register sizes.The true early racing wheels were splined to the axles and used knock off hubs.
Remember those ?
Just like pre 70 Mopars l/h on left and r/h on the right.

Most wheel manufacturers ave seperate hub rings available for the different register sizes.The true early racing wheels were splined to the axles and used knock off hubs.
Remember those ?
Just like pre 70 Mopars l/h on left and r/h on the right.
I'm not from Missouri but you're going to have to show me that..(separate hub rings)

Hub-centric adapters...

Hub-centric adapters...

Nice, I have seen those before but they are not supplied by the wheel manufacturers. I sold wheels years ago at the speed shop and there were no hub adapters available or included.

Nice, I have seen those before but they are not supplied by the wheel manufacturers. I sold wheels years ago at the speed shop and there were no hub adapters available or included.
Actually a few wheel manufacturers do sell them, but most don't.... I know BBS and HRE do...

Modern times.
Almost all current aftermarket wheels are made hub centric.
Hub rings are normarlly ordered at the time the wheels are ordered.
Not something that was available 50 years ago.
Were available when I finally left the business in 2008 .

see that seven spoke sline knockoff jag type mag rim in the middle , and this counter sink type knockoff four pin mag rim , both vintage american magnesiums locate of center hole .

DSC01231.JPG

G2SM7d44a0d6-1d14-45b9-8f0f-92dac113af8c-16153.jpg

G2SM44e4db68-15d3-4d6a-989b-a20dfa4d9b20-16153.jpg

G2SMbb60138b-733e-473e-8195-e43e1e4b06b7-16153.jpg

There have been BILLIONS of miles street driven, and raced, by cars with lug centered wheels..... and your "installer" is an idiot.

Auto Transport Service
Back