• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Americans taking their classic cars to be restored in Mexico, Baja California

Around 1972 or so, my brother-in-law drove his '55 Chevy 210 post to TJ for a complete upholstery job. His was a gasser-style, with the tube front axle and leaf springs. My Dad called it the "lumber wagon" because it truly rode like one. Had it painted, too, while he was there. It came back with the most amazing silver/black lace custom paint with a black tuck-n-roll Naugahyde interior. Not sure how many Naugas were slain to produce the hydes, but the car was friggin' awesome, especially to me as a junior-high kid.

Around 1972 or so, my brother-in-law drove his '55 Chevy 210 post to TJ for a complete upholstery job. His was a gasser-style, with the tube front axle and leaf springs. My Dad called it the "lumber wagon" because it truly rode like one. Had it painted, too, while he was there. It came back with the most amazing silver/black lace custom paint with a black tuck-n-roll Naugahyde interior. Not sure how many Naugas were slain to produce the hydes, but the car was friggin' awesome, especially to me as a junior-high kid.
did he leave it there and come back or stay for a few days while they did the work? (seriously asking, I have no idea - my own car painted here in CA they told me 3 weeks and it was in "paint jail" for 8 months...)

I lIke working on my own cars! Besides the more I can do, the more I save. And I know my work is sound.

did he leave it there and come back or stay for a few days while they did the work? (seriously asking, I have no idea - my own car painted here in CA they told me 3 weeks and it was in "paint jail" for 8 months...)

He was in Baja for two weeks for some four-wheelin' desert fun with a couple of his buddies. Paint took a week, and they were finishing the interior when he picked the car up. It was day and night from when he brought it down to TJ.

Auto Transport Service
Back