• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting older and the changes in what we like...

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
Growing up, nobody wanted to drive a 4 door car. Nobody seemed to want a station wagon either.
As the years have rolled by, I have gained an appreciation for both.
THIS was at my place today:

JR 1.jpg

1966 Chrysler Town and Country 3 seats, 383, power windows and style for miles!

JR 2.jpg

It just cruises down the road with the only noise coming from the wind on the wipers and roof luggage rack.
383 4 barrel with single exhaust, A/C. A friend of mine bought it last year sometime and needed a factory choke. I had a small stash of factory chokes to share so he came by to grab a few to see what might work.
In my 20s, I'd immediately dismiss any thought of owning this car. Heck, I'd feel the same into my 40s.
I'm still interested in going fast, cornering hard and street cred but it seems like with societal changes being what they are, I am feeling that it is getting to where I respect just about ALL classic GASOLINE burning cars.
I've owned a few 4 door Darts and Valiants but never felt any connection to them. I had a 68 Satellite station wagon over 10 years ago but it was rusty...

68 W 1.jpg

68 W 2.jpg

In 2009 I had this gem....

71 300 H.JPG

71 300 B.JPG

As late as 2019, I bought this turd...

Polara 1.jpg

None of them were bought to restore, they all were parted out.
Green doesn't help!
The blue wagon above is different. It is not perfect but is very clean and complete.
I've thought of how nowadays I'd entertain the thought of one of these:

1706235575170.png

No, I don't need a walker or a hearing aid yet but the non performance Mopars are becoming interesting to me.

that grille brings some good coin nowadays....... my original one is awesome :D

1706235939637.png

It's a matter of life experiences. You're too young. Have you ever RACED
1706236486020.png
one of these when they were only a few years old ? I did. And it was a freakin' blast !

that grille brings some good coin nowadays....... my original one is awesome :D

View attachment 1598239

I sold the grille and bezels for $300 back then. The dash for another $300. I sold some weird stuff that I never expected to sell....headliner pieces, tailgate parts, I made out well on that car.

I sold the grille and bezels for $300 back then. The dash for another $300. I sold some weird stuff that I never expected to sell....headliner pieces, tailgate parts, I made out well on that car.
I sold the same grille & bezels on Ebay back around 2004 for $960.00 I was hoping to get $150.....

My good buddy, who's still my close friend from the 60's, his dad had a 383 wagon he would sometimes take out on the weekend night. We would goad an unsuspecting Chevy or Ford, or whatever, into an impromptu heads-up run. Be surprised how many "cool" cars were shown the TAILGATE of a Mopar station wagon.

I'm rigid and inflexible on cars. What I liked and disliked back in the olden days hasn't changed what I like and dislike now.

It's a matter of life experiences. You're too young. Have you ever RACED View attachment 1598241 one of these when they were only a few years old ? I did. And it was a freakin' blast !
I bought my wagon when I was 21. When I built it for racing, it was a Mopar 360/380 crate motor, 2400 stall, reverse-manual 727, and the factory 3.23 489 case SG rear hung from Mopar SS/D leaf springs.

Ran 1.60 60' times all damn day, pump gas and street tires at 20psi. Mid-13s at a hair over 100.

All.
Day.
Long.

Can't beat the weight transfer of 4' of car behind the rear axle, that goes all the way to the roof!

I love wagons.

Growing up, nobody wanted to drive a 4 door car. Nobody seemed to want a station wagon either.
As the years have rolled by, I have gained an appreciation for both.
THIS was at my place today:

View attachment 1598228

1966 Chrysler Town and Country 3 seats, 383, power windows and style for miles!

View attachment 1598229

It just cruises down the road with the only noise coming from the wind on the wipers and roof luggage rack.
383 4 barrel with single exhaust, A/C. A friend of mine bought it last year sometime and needed a factory choke. I had a small stash of factory chokes to share so he came by to grab a few to see what might work.
In my 20s, I'd immediately dismiss any thought of owning this car. Heck, I'd feel the same into my 40s.
I'm still interested in going fast, cornering hard and street cred but it seems like with societal changes being what they are, I am feeling that it is getting to where I respect just about ALL classic GASOLINE burning cars.
I've owned a few 4 door Darts and Valiants but never felt any connection to them. I had a 68 Satellite station wagon over 10 years ago but it was rusty...

View attachment 1598232

View attachment 1598233

In 2009 I had this gem....

View attachment 1598234

View attachment 1598235

As late as 2019, I bought this turd...

View attachment 1598236

None of them were bought to restore, they all were parted out.
Green doesn't help!
The blue wagon above is different. It is not perfect but is very clean and complete.
I've thought of how nowadays I'd entertain the thought of one of these:

View attachment 1598238

No, I don't need a walker or a hearing aid yet but the non performance Mopars are becoming interesting to me.
Lots of good memories with the wagons I had with my boys growing up. I miss them both. All 9 pass. To keep them separated and not kill one another.lol. good times.

I'd proudly own and drive that wagon, @Kern Dog . Beauty!
I've always loved station wagons and have told the story before of wanting to find the one my family had
when I was a kid (very similar to this one):
936c26ba5234689ed79a05f721033569.jpg
1968 Dodge Monaco wagon
Sadly, in the early 70's when the first "gas crisis" hit, my dad traded it on a *gag* '73 VW Bus for the fuel
economy. Man, I miss that car...and come to find out, it was pretty rare, so not many survived eventual
smash up derbies and such to follow.

For a different kind of wagon, how about the semi-famous WAGONS OF STEEL racing team out of the
Pacific NW?
www.youtube.com/@gaffojones

I have nothing against a fast wagon but I’d be tempted to own a fairly stock, clean and complete 4 four door or wagon. It would just be a cruiser and casual use car.

Auto Transport Service
Back