• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ammeter

charger11

Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
Hello
I’m wondering if the main red power wire to th ammeter can be cut and a gauge 14 clip put back on it mine has been cut right at the circle clip 1968 charger thx

Hello
I’m wondering if the main red power wire to th ammeter can be cut and a gauge 14 clip put back on it mine has been cut right at the circle clip 1968 charger thx
14 is to light.

What gauge should I have it’s insulated too so wondering best way to repair

#8 #12 with a low temperature solder butt splice should work OK.
Something like this style:
1711572432692.png

See if you can find a copper ring terminal and heat shrink tubing over that crimped connection.
(That wire goes to the starter relay stud and directly to the battery)

Last edited:
The factory size was 12 gauge, but keep in mind there is a fusible link in that circuit. If it has been cut out it should be replaced.

hello still looking for solutions to my issue as not very electrical inclined
Thx again

So I think you are wanting to replace the wire connector attaching the red wire to the Amp Meter. If that is correct, I believe that is a 12 gauge wire so select a connector the wire will slide into and the eye fits the stud you will be attaching to. I've seen different eyelet thicknesses so don't settle for one of the thin ones. Depending on the current load, you might be pulling several amps there.

When crimping a high current new connector onto the wire (or wires. looks like there is also a gray wire there but that might be an illusion) I try to get two crimp spots in play. One up close to the eye end and one just a tiny bit away from the end away from the eye. Make sure both are good and tight.

Last edited:
So I think you are wanting to replace the wire connector attaching the red wire to the Amp Meter. If that is correct, I believe that is a 12 gauge wire so select a connector the wire will slide into and the eye fits the stud you will be attaching to. I've seen different eyelet thicknesses so don't settle for one of the thin ones. Depending on the current load, you might be pulling several amps there.

When crimping a high current new connector onto the wire (or wires. looks like there is also a gray wire there but that might be an illusion) I try to get two crimp spots in play. One up close to the eye end and one just a tiny bit away from the end away from the eye. Make sure both are good and tight.
There is that black insulator attached should I cut it out?

There is that black insulator attached should I cut it out?
Yes, you should get a couple layers of heat shrink in that area after you make the repair. Pretty much all your cars power goes through that wire, so make sure you do a good job.

Auto Transport Service
Back