• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An inconvenient truth

To some extent, the thinking is that changes in the greenhouse averted an ice age. The idea of engineering the atmosphere is something that people discuss. So it isn't crazy to think that people considered it. What is potentially dangerous is if we did something that had unintentional consequences, or if a rogue nation (like Canada) decided they wanted it warmer up there and did their own engineering at the expense of more southerly nations like the USA.

And please don't bring weed into it. My daughter just got her card and says it fixes all sorts of things.

The vast majority of climate scientists are paid via government grants to reach the conclusion they are supposed to reach. Or else.
Well, I'm not a climate scientist. What I meant to say is that the vast majority of ALL scientists believe "global climate change" is real, not just the handful of scientists with government grants or whatever.

The vast majority of climate scientists are paid via government grants to reach the conclusion they are supposed to reach. Or else.
Please see some of my other posts. I'm not paid by any government grant....and people who have told me "or else" haven't had that work out too well for them over the years. There's about a half-dozen gang bangers in downtown Chicago that can verify this.

Same thing happened in the 1800s and ships got frozen in the north passage. Nothing new there. But no we don't want to talk about that. Like it never happened. I am quite certain fossil fuels were the problem then also.
I am still waiting on the swirl in the toilet to turn counter clock wise. Will we also be blamed for that?
You know, I thought about this last night. These details are probably not that accurate, but there's a volcano called "Krakatoa" (sp?) that erupted in the late 1800's (?) on the other side of the world. It put so much crap up in our atmosphere that even in the United States, summer just didn't come one year....seriously...it stayed cold the entire year. I might have to look up that story again.

To some extent, the thinking is that changes in the greenhouse averted an ice age. The idea of engineering the atmosphere is something that people discuss. So it isn't crazy to think that people considered it. What is potentially dangerous is if we did something that had unintentional consequences, or if a rogue nation (like Canada) decided they wanted it warmer up there and did their own engineering at the expense of more southerly nations like the USA.

And please don't bring weed into it. My daughter just got her card and says it fixes all sorts of things.
I never trusted the Canadians :lol: (just kidding). Yeah, I see your point. I would be super bad if somebody tried it & we ROYALLY screwed our air. We seem to be pretty good at putting stuff into the air & have no idea how to take it out.

I did see some type of National Geographic (?) show where they said the Earth was initially super hot, then it got really cold & turned into a giant ice ball. It was the buildup of carbon dioxide from volcanoes that put enough CO2 into the atmosphere that allowed our planet to be reasonably warm like it is today.

The title was a satirical jab at Algore's book on the "global warming crisis". Wouldn't it be ironic if the extra co2 in the air has prevented the next ice age? No matter what, we are entering another solar minimum and it looks like the next few winters are going to be pretty nasty.
He was the one person that first came to mind in my response. He is the biggest do as I say, not as I do asshole to ever walk this earth, period... IMO.

So I guess you do not believe in the master plan? If we become extinct it will not be of our doing.
Now a real question. If we stopped the use of all fossil fuels today how many people do you think would survive the next 6 months? Really something to think about.
Myself I an more concerned about what is happening to our food and water supply. What we do with waste and the myth that old is junk and new is great. I am old enough to remember when things were repairable instead of throw away. Have you really tried recycling anything lately and I don't mean setting it out on the curb for pickup?
I am a devout Christian (fyi) and believe very strongly in God's will. I also believe that God gave humans free will (Garden of Eden, etc.) My gut instinct is that God isn't trying to end the world with climate change....if so, we have no chance at all.

Ok, here's a question. How many times over the earth' s history have there been ice caps ? Contrasting, how much of earth' s history have there been NO ice caps at all ?
I really don't know, but I'm sure it has been A LOT of times over several billion years. If the polar ice caps completely melted, I don't think it would kill all humans or anything like that. It would however, DRAMATICALLY change how the world is now. I mean the idea of large sections of the USA being under water (Midwest, coastal regions, etc) is completely accurate...more water = higher water level = you need to be higher up to stay dry.

The Earth has been a giant snowball several times over history too. I'm not sure if I'd want to live in Florida anymore if it was covered in 10 ft. of snow. I mean, we'd still be alive, but life would be very, very different.

Eventually, the Earth will cycle between very hot & very cold (so it seems) regardless of what we do. I'm not looking forward to it.

Maybe the "Sun" of god has returned.

I had to say it!

I never trusted the Canadians :lol: (just kidding). Yeah, I see your point. I would be super bad if somebody tried it & we ROYALLY screwed our air. We seem to be pretty good at putting stuff into the air & have no idea how to take it out.

I did see some type of National Geographic (?) show where they said the Earth was initially super hot, then it got really cold & turned into a giant ice ball. It was the buildup of carbon dioxide from volcanoes that put enough CO2 into the atmosphere that allowed our planet to be reasonably warm like it is today.

Yes it did freeze over, or at least that is what they think. The hypothesis is called the snowball earth hypothesis, and the idea was in part that the continents ended up near the equator, which meant they could weather (make dirt) which consumes carbon dioxide. The ice formed, increasing albedo, but since the continents were at the equator, they kept weathering and consuming CO2. This led to a run away ice house which shut down weathering and CO2 consumption. Then to get out of it, the CO2 levels needed to build up to much higher levels because most of the radiation was reflected by ice. Volcanoes supplied the CO2 and it built up to very high levels, and which melted the ice, but then the oceans being ice free absorbed a lot more radiation and temperatures when way up (a hot house). All of this happened several times between about 600 and 800 million years ago. This also happened when the sun was about 7% less luminous. The luminosity of the sun is increasing with time because of the natural consequences of hydrogen burning - which makes the center of the sun more dense and (I think) causes it to contract a little exposing slightly hotter layers at its surface. So it radiates hotter. The hypothesis was figured out in the 1990's and is an interesting one. It has been hotly debated.

Krakatoa was a big one that had a big effect on climate. I think you might have been referring to Tambora, which happened at the start of the 1800's and led to the year without summer. Having records of past volcanic events and the connections to historic events and climate oscillations is an important think to have. The records are constructed by studying layers of volcanic deposits in ice cores from both poles. There were bigger events in human history than Tambora and Krakatoa, and even bigger mega events - like the Yellowstone events that happened in the more distant past.

I called out the Canadians because I lost my better judgement.

No problem... I'm pretty sure the Canadians on this site know you we just kidding since Canada is one of our longest & best allies.

Maybe the "Sun" of god has returned.

I had to say it!
That would be WAY cool.... but I'm hoping I get taken up in the rapture since Earth is supposed to be a pretty nasty place for about a thousand years.

All that I know is today here in Pa that .0145 degree we rose in the last decade SURE makes the day much more bearable!!!:thumbsup:

Do you? Please explain, in detail, the Scientific Method. You've got time to Google it, all you need to do is explain it.
Don't need to Google it.
I will explain with one question.
If you think x is causing something to prove the theory what do you do in an observed experiment?

You know, I thought about this last night. These details are probably not that accurate, but there's a volcano called "Krakatoa" (sp?) that erupted in the late 1800's (?) on the other side of the world. It put so much crap up in our atmosphere that even in the United States, summer just didn't come one year....seriously...it stayed cold the entire year. I might have to look up that story again.
It was Tambora in Indonesia and it was 1815. People fail to realize that mother nature actually puts more stuff into the atmosphere that we as people can do. She also cleans it out too. The other thing that people don't realize is that weather is daily events, climate and extended period of the average weather and it changes over periods of time regardless of humans or natural occurrences. If you look at the climate over 10 year periods going back 200 years, each 10 year period has a different climate average. The little ice age happened in the late 1600's to early 1700's followed by a warm period during the enlightenment in the mid 1700's to nearly 1800. Where the industrial revolution hadn't really gotten going to its full extent! So, what cause these changes?????

It was Tambora in Indonesia and it was 1815. People fail to realize that mother nature actually puts more stuff into the atmosphere that we as people can do. She also cleans it out too. The other thing that people don't realize is that weather is daily events, climate and extended period of the average weather and it changes over periods of time regardless of humans or natural occurrences. If you look at the climate over 10 year periods going back 200 years, each 10 year period has a different climate average. The little ice age happened in the late 1600's to early 1700's followed by a warm period during the enlightenment in the mid 1700's to nearly 1800. Where the industrial revolution hadn't really gotten going to its full extent! So, what cause these changes?????

??? maybe Cave women using aerosol hair spray before they went out "clubbin"...

Auto Transport Service
Back