• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Carb Question

AR67,
Post #67. The Carter has smaller primary t/bores than the Edel 800, so this may account for the better throttle response.

But the main purpose of a carb is to provide a HIGH quality fuel "mixture" not just quantity of fuel. Fuel distribution to each cylinder matters. Mopar and Carter did this with their selection. Unless your putting your motor on a dyno and monitoring AF on all 8 cylinders you can't really tell what is going on, and all this is just seat of pants. Many of the Mopar AFB and AVS had venturi tabs to control distribution issues especially at lower speeds.

Any obstruction does reduce air flow though. So which is better you don't know unless you dyno.

Local engine builder said it took him 17 dyno pulls to get a set of edelbrocks dialed in for a big cube hemi. Could you just slap them on and run the motor. Sure. Would be rich, but would work.

If you motor is not stock all bets off with the stock carb, but not a bad starting point.

Any Carter or Carterbrock will do. Size is up to you. No need to get people crying about the size here.

I’ve had trouble with modern gas in these old things, I have good luck with a 3/8 fiber spacer to insulate. Watch the carb bolts, factory is long enough to tighten up, but will loosen. I went back with some longer arp ones most recent time, another car I had studs so it wasn’t an issue.

Factory choke will reach and still work right with those.

AR67,
Post #67. The Carter has smaller primary t/bores than the Edel 800, so this may account for the better throttle response.
Throttle response thru smaller bore primary VENTURI is directly related to the VELOCITY of the air flow thru the primary venturi and the vaporization index (dynamically) of the fuel being added to the air stream. Static dimensions are worthless....
BOB RENTON

Bob,
In your haste to find fault with everything I say, you have now let it become an obsession & you are not reading correctly.
READ POST#16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get a dictionary & find out what the word 'may' [ post #21 ] means.....

Bob,
In your haste to find fault with everything I say, you have now let it become an obsession & you are not reading correctly.
READ POST#16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get a dictionary & find out what the word 'may' [ post #21 ] means.....
Such an awesome responsibility......thinking you know everything....and not......actually....carbs work on the differential pressure principle which is a function of velocity .......show us your calculations that prove/disprove your explanation.....
BOB RENTON

Bob,
Read the posts I mentioned. They corroborate what I said in post #21.
This is from post #16 [ another member ]:
' .....the 4327 seems smoother & more responsive to throttle changes in everyday driving than the 800 Edelbrock.'

The 4327 [ Carter AFB ] has smaller primary venturiis & throttle bores than the 800 Edel.

What is it that you do not understand? I do not need to make calculations to prove or disprove the simple notion expressed in post #16....

Auto Transport Service
Back