• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another DASH light issue

dcatcha

Local time
12:59 PM
Reaction score
I reviewed 3 other threads about dash light issues, but they don't match my issues.

A little background...

I replaced the switch that powers the lights on my car, because my headlights stopped working, but prior to that my dash lights stopped working.

After replacing the headlight switch my dash lights still do not work.
What works... Dome lights, blinker indicators, brights indcator.

I have taken the lights out and hooked them up to a 12v source, and the lights work when connected. I put some electrolitic grease on the connectors where the bulb seats, and still no lights.

I reviewed 3 other threads about dash light issues, but they don't match my issues.

A little background...

I replaced the switch that powers the lights on my car, because my headlights stopped working, but prior to that my dash lights stopped working.

After replacing the headlight switch my dash lights still do not work.
What works... Dome lights, blinker indicators, brights indcator.

I have taken the lights out and hooked them up to a 12v source, and the lights work when connected. I put some electrolitic grease on the connectors where the bulb seats, and still no lights.

Check your dimmer switch.

update

I will take a look at it again, howerver I pulled the dash out to do some bench testing. I do have other gauges hooked up e.g. tach, temp, oil, ampmeter... those lights do turn on, but I don't recall if I hooked those gauges into the dash or headlight circuit. I should have the dash put back together later this week, and I will let you know what I find.

Headlight switch replacment part

I brought my circuit boards into work, and the got bath in an ultrasonic degreser. I also ordered a new dash voltage regulator, and a new headlight switch... cost $70.00... Yes I said new.

I did find a NEW replacment headlight dimmer\switch for under $30.00. Here is a link if anyone is looking:

http://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Swit...edium=shoppingengine&utm_source=google_baseSF

After the circuit boards got cleaned up I found a small brake in a trace on the ground side of the voltage regulator. Soldering a connection there, and replacing the regulator seemed to fix the issue with fuel guage. I replaced the headlight switch, and now the accessory lights work on the dash. I did run into an issue howerver which caused the blinker lights on the dash to stay illuminated... that ended up just being a loose wire, or ground... the problem went away once I finished installing the dash, and tightening the screws down.

I forgot to add if there is a place to post service manuals I have a the Chrysler Shop Service manual for all 1966 B-Bodies that I would be happy to share.

Auto Transport Service
Back