• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another disaster in a string of disasters

Sahara

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
Way North Canada. Polar Bear shaped license plates
Many of you are aware of the disasters that my town and area have endured in the last two years. To recap:
in the spring of 2022 we had the largest flood in territory history. Our town had been moved to high ground after a disasterous flood in 1962. A freak ice jam caused the new town to flood. Over 400 houses were destroyed or damaged in a small town of 4500 residents.
Almost exactly a year later a forest fire forces evacuation of the town for ten days. 18 houses destroyed.
August 2023 a series of massive forest fires force the evacuation of Hay River and Fort Smith for five weeks. Only a handful of structures are destroyed but both towns are now oasis surrounded by hundreds of miles of burned destruction.
The economic damage to lost business and expenses of evacuation are staggering. The mental stress and damage is incalculable.
Yesterday morning the crew plane departing for one of the diamond mines crashed shortly after take off from Fort Smith, killing all but one aboard. This is a massive hit to the northern community where everyone is related and everyone knows everyone. Our son in law works in one of the diamond mines and will be flying out on the crew plane today. Our clerk at work was on the crew that perished before she came to work for us and knew everyone.
We are all getting a tired of disasters.

You have all endured so much. I know those who read your post will keep you and your people in their thoughts.
Wish I could find more to say.

Last edited:
Saw that Garth and started checking my "friend" list last night, both fliers and miners. All accounted for...

Also a Heli ski crash in Terrance BC Monday afternoon, 3 of 7 deceased.

Dang, you have to be tough to live in that environment, but no one is tougher than nature.
Best wishes for you up there.

Yes, your area has had more than its share of heartbreak. I heard about the airplane crash in the news yesterday. Again, heartbreaking. It takes special people to live so far north. If you ever get tired of it, southern Ontario is lovely. Just kind of expensive to live here, in regard to price of property.

Yes, your area has had more than its share of heartbreak. I heard about the airplane crash in the news yesterday. Again, heartbreaking. It takes special people to live so far north. If you ever get tired of it, southern Ontario is lovely. Just kind of expensive to live here, in regard to price of property.
Daughter went to university in Sudbury. I really liked it there. I used to laugh, though. People in Ontario called it Northern Ontario but it’s as far north as Calgary, in Southern Alberta. But it’s uncanny how much it is similar to here, both in layout and geography. I think you could blindfold a person in Yellowknife and drop them off in Northern Ontario and they would think they are still in Yellowknife. It’s eerily similar.
I think wife and I are pretty much here for the long haul. I’ve been here over fifty years and she around thirty five. We don’t really have any place else to go and living in a small, isolated area for so long makes it hard to adjust to more populated areas. We have a place in Mexico that we escape to a few times a year. Could never live there either but it’s nice to go soak up some sun and good food.
I think the biggest barrier, though, is just having to start over. At 63 years old it would be difficult to pick up and start over. But it’s difficult to stay, too.

I live near the North shore of Lake Erie, about as far South as the northern border of California. We have not had much snow yet, and what we do have is going to go away in the next couple of days. It is about 4C today and foggy.

I live near the North shore of Lake Erie, about as far South as the northern border of California. We have not had much snow yet, and what we do have is going to go away in the next couple of days. It is about 4C today and foggy.
How is the climate there, compared with say, Northern California? That was one thing I noticed with Sudbury is that even though they are as far south as Calgary because they are out on the shield their climate is harsher then Calgary. I can take cold to a certain extent, it’s dampness and dark along with cold that I have a hard time with. Mexico where we go is super humid and gets dark early but because it’s warm it doesn’t seem to affect me the same way.

Sorry to hear of all that misfortune, I can only say hopefully better & brighter days are ahead for everyone up there !

May through September are our golden months here. It can get up to 30C in July and August, and really humid. May and June are 20C to 25C without so much humidity. Same with September and early October. Our worst winter months are January and February, with snow and cold temps. Our cold here is -20C to -25C, like a spring day where you are. LOL

Tragic news again. A couple of my friends work at the mine as well so it hits close to home. When the hits keep coming it feels like it will never stop but it will. We live in southern B.C. and enjoy the milder weather but nothing is perfect here either.

Garth, I can’t begin to imagine all the pain, heartbreak and the loses you guys have went through. I’ll say a prayer for everyone up there. Take care and be safe. Kim

I think the biggest barrier, though, is just having to start over. At 63 years old it would be difficult to pick up and start over. But it’s difficult to stay, too.
First off, :praying: for all you folks up there. God love ya, how you stick it out through all that is beyond me.
Makes our recent little "worst snow since 1910" event pale in comparison (my arse is sick of the tractor/blade
action already though :) ).

You mention it being difficult to change your locale at your age and I'm right there with you on age (1 year behind),
but lately I've increasingly had that wanderlust dream of just selling it all and hitting the road.
I've never seen half this wonderful country, leave alone much of yours - and the call of the road is getting increasingly
stronger as my own countdown clock runs out.

Can't convince the wife so far though...but it's a heck of a nice dream, anyways.

I used to think about selling everything and moving away too but after doing some looking around, those thoughts changed.....and my thoughts and prayer go out to y'all.

Auto Transport Service
Back