• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have any of you ever opened a car shop or resto shop from scratch?

RC needs to stop sugar coating how he really feels just to protect other people's feelings! Lol People wear their feelings on their sleeves these days, RC is very aware of this!
He probably sends out mean tweets too.

He used to take other kids lunch money in school too! How else could a 15 year old kid afford Hemi Charger R/Ts and Daytona's!

He used to take other kids lunch money in school too! How else could a 15 year old kid afford Hemi Charger R/Ts and Daytona's!
He gave em bloody noses too if they didn't give him all of it. He'd pick them up by the ankles and shake them and if more came out....nose job!

A real bully! Everyone in the Boro was fraid of him! He had a 68 GTX Hemi convertible when he was in the 4th grade!

Last edited:
RC needs to stop sugar coating how he really feels just to protect other people's feelings! Lol People wear their feelings on their sleeves these days, RC is very aware of this!

Hey, I tell it like it is. Some like it and some don't. ...... And I can take all the ribbing that's been posted above.

But back on the topic; hopefully, the OP has recovered from last night's hallucinogenic haze to realize that he can't just wake up and proclaim that he wants to start up and run a business, especially one where he admits that he's a hack.

giphy.gif

The OP hasn't responded to this thread in almost 24 hours. Perhaps all that frog licking combined with a dozen hash brownies has put him in a coma.

1696979551308.png

Odd how life works out. With me having a biz for 20 years, never had the plan to start one, other than a few fleeting thoughts about it. These thoughts came around when I was dealing with corporate kool-aid drinking or politics. Still never gave it serious thought. The risks seemed too steep. But, was laid-off with my 2nd job out of college when USA mfg went down the toilet and took another position at a young company expanding in my state. Right timing as the company grew and was promoted several times to the exec staff in the 14 years I was there.

Then the politics escalated, making me drink more kool-aid under a prez who was a lunatic. Go figure, the same guy I was once close friends with before he talked me into coming to work there. We vacationed together, got together for beers having a lot of fun. He gets promoted to prez and became a flaming cut-throat asshole developing a hate for me. Nice thing is he forced me out, after canning me didn’t work, giving a fantastic severance. And I wasn’t the only one. I believe a longer story here.

So then at 45, I’m settled in a brand new house we built, kids rooted in school and their activities, wife having a great job. What to do? Move? Then the thoughts got serious about starting a biz. The old saying is ‘not what you know, it’s who you know.’ THIS was all the diff btw making it work and not.

Couple years later at a retirement party encountered two people I had worked with who ‘aided’ in my departure. One says, “Gee heard about your business; must have took some guts to do that.” I replied “Guts had nothing to do with it. You can work your *** off working for a company and it all means nothing based on how much kool-aid you can tolerate, or if the company goes down the shitter. Totally out of one’s control. Just decided there’s no more risk working for another company as opposed to starting my own business. If it was going to fail, that’s on me with nobody else helping me – fail.” Wish I could have a photo of the puss on one of them when I said this, the dipshit that was most helpful with my demise. Same ***-kisser who I had talked the prez out of firing some years earlier.

Odd how life works out. With me having a biz for 20 years, never had the plan to start one, other than a few fleeting thoughts about it. These thoughts came around when I was dealing with corporate kool-aid drinking or politics. Still never gave it serious thought. The risks seemed too steep. But, was laid-off with my 2nd job out of college when USA mfg went down the toilet and took another position at a young company expanding in my state. Right timing as the company grew and was promoted several times to the exec staff in the 14 years I was there.

Then the politics escalated, making me drink more kool-aid under a prez who was a lunatic. Go figure, the same guy I was once close friends with before he talked me into coming to work there. We vacationed together, got together for beers having a lot of fun. He gets promoted to prez and became a flaming cut-throat asshole developing a hate for me. Nice thing is he forced me out, after canning me didn’t work, giving a fantastic severance. And I wasn’t the only one. I believe a longer story here.

So then at 45, I’m settled in a brand new house we built, kids rooted in school and their activities, wife having a great job. What to do? Move? Then the thoughts got serious about starting a biz. The old saying is ‘not what you know, it’s who you know.’ THIS was all the diff btw making it work and not.

Couple years later at a retirement party encountered two people I had worked with who ‘aided’ in my departure. One says, “Gee heard about your business; must have took some guts to do that.” I replied “Guts had nothing to do with it. You can work your *** off working for a company and it all means nothing based on how much kool-aid you can tolerate, or if the company goes down the shitter. Totally out of one’s control. Just decided there’s no more risk working for another company as opposed to starting my own business. If it was going to fail, that’s on me with nobody else helping me – fail.” Wish I could have a photo of the puss on one of them when I said this, the dipshit that was most helpful with my demise. Same ***-kisser who I had talked the prez out of firing some years earlier.
That kinda reminds me of my 2nd marriage! LOL. The sad part with me is that it consumed 30+ years but the last 5 have been pretty good.

of course there are many pros n cons , many have all ready been mentioned. i owned my own shop for many years , it’s alot like a roller coaster ride . very rewarding at times , very stressful others . my big question is are you self motivated? can you sustain without getting paid for weeks and sometimes months at a time . there is all ways slow spells followed by 7 -20 hour days for weeks at a time . vacation, not normally. it can be the best of times and/or the worst….

I did my own shop for about 7 years. Its A LOT of work .
But I have zero regrets

I had the opportunity to open a licensed collision repair attached to a very busy mechanic's shop (open 24/7).......

4 guys fed one paint booth, my team was awesome........ but it was impossible to shove enough work through one paint booth to profit. Collision work paid all the bills,.......... guess who rarely got paid? guess who brought Mopars and other classics into the shop to fill in?........I lasted almost 4 years, I couldn't run away fast enough, but it took me over a year to unwind the mess; without telling anyone....... talk about stress

I did it out of pocket, so glad I never borrowed any money....... got out owing no one anything

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back