• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another garage..

747mopar

Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
The wife over the last few years has done her share of complaining about the kids shoes piled at the door, the dogs tracking in the house, scraping snow and ice off of her van and then we adopt another child.. be nice to have another bedroom? I ignorantly say, sounds like an attached garage with a bedroom upstairs is just the fix... and so it begins.

Having a weeks vacation leftover I told her let's get the foundation in and the pad poured so it's out of the way then hit it hard come spring.
IMG_20210912_152532653_MP_copy_1597x1197.jpg
IMG_20210914_122855529_MP_copy_1804x1353.jpg

I underestimated the amount of dirt that I'd be pulling out of here, day 1 I called in a favor and borrowed a dump truck.. 7 loads hauled out!! Fortunately having a motorcross track in the field this just meant jumps would get bigger:thumbsup:.

After 3 days of finding utilities (manual digging), leveling, digging footers, hauling dirt and fixing equipment I poured the footers with the help of my dad barely dodging the rain.

IMG_20210915_123204433_MP_copy_1625x1219.jpg View attachment 1170130

Last edited:
Day 5 the block and mortar ingredients are all delivered... 400 block, 200 regular and 200 rebar block.
IMG_20210917_125356776_MP_copy_1676x1257.jpg
IMG_20210917_125353573_MP_copy_1691x1268.jpg
IMG_20210916_115315271_MP_copy_1653x1240.jpg

By day 7 the block is laid enough to get me back up to grade with the help of our newest member of the family.
IMG_20210917_200850506_MP_copy_1740x1305.jpg
IMG_20210917_215043349_MP_copy_2015x1511.jpg

Ahhh, I remember my days in the construction business. The best feeling in the world is when you get back above grade and can start the real fun work. (I loved carpentry, but hated digging and block work! LOL)

That almost looks like something Larry would want to help with, lol.

Ahhh, I remember my days in the construction business. The best feeling in the world is when you get back above grade and can start the real fun work. (I loved carpentry, but hated digging and block work! LOL)
I absolutely HATE this part of the process, hate it with a passion! When I dug the basement for our house the dirt collapsed 3 different times before I got the basement poured causing the nastiest slop to dig back out. Same thing on my garage, poured the footers and the sky opens up and floods them with slop!

This time I picked a week with zero rain in the forecast, I swear as soon as I dug the footer the forecast changed to 70%:mad:.

I was fortunate, poured them on the day they were calling for rain and only got drizzles. Yesterday it poured and made a mess but having the block up to grade already, no harm.

I actually do enjoy laying block just not below grade.

Last edited:
That almost looks like something Larry would want to help with, lol.
I'm going full loaner on this one, I get a tiny bit of help here and there but 95% working alone.

How much footage u gaining For this build?
I haven't really looked at what size bedroom I can stuff upstairs but I'll easily gain 1,000 sqft. It's not huge, I've got utilities and landscape partially dictating what makes the most sense. The garage is roughly 28'x28'.

IMG_20210920_150847395_MP_copy_1274x1699.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that’s good size for sure.
Some of that is for a staircase to get upstairs. I'll completely remove the kitchen door then frame an entry in the garage that way you don't technically have to go into the garage to enter the upstairs.

I'm going full loaner on this one, I get a tiny bit of help here and there but 95% working alone.

Devin knows if he needs my help, a simple phone call or text and I'd do everything in my powers to be there to help him out - just like the last time with his shop !

We knocked it out . . .

And I'll still get on the lift to do that work too !

Devin knows if he needs my help, a simple phone call or text and I'd do everything in my powers to be there to help him out - just like the last time with his shop !

We knocked it out . . .
I know it, you've got your hands full and this project is peanuts.. be done in notime! Keep in mind "this project" only involves getting above grade for now.

Devin, you are a nut! I am constantly amazed and impressed with your fabrication and overall building skills. Paint, bodywork, engines, carpentry, foundations, etc. You do it all!

Impressed!

Auto Transport Service
Back