• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another "Mystery Engine"

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:58 AM
Reaction score
Since the post about a 440 "Mystery Engine" reminded me of this I thought I would post it....
Anyone know or care to guess what this engine is???

thumbnail_IMG_8367.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8368.jpg

I'm guessing and I'm sure I'm wrong but looks like the Allison. But I do believe that was a 12 cyn also.

In the comments of the video this is mine...

"Not quite the same as it was back in the 70's.... First time I saw it I was driving a Navy truck, spotted it leaving the NSRA event & entering Hwy 99 in Bakersfield & drove all the way over the grapevine speeding up & slowing down, moving lanes checked the whole car out... It was nothing like other street rods of the time... Wayyyyy ahead of it's time... A couple months later got the new Hot Rod Magazine & there it was.... I remember it being a little more maroon rather than the current red & had the stripe with Lil'John lettering .... Cool to see it still exists... Looks like allot of Lil Johns handmade billet parts got toned down probably because while this was the car that started the trend & executed it to a whole different level the trend got so over done ..."

I believe Westlake engineered those for a Plymouth Indy 500 effort 1969 maybe?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back