• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine or Motor ?

Engine or Motor? What do you call it?

• Engine

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • Motor

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
Motor mouth sounds better than engine mouth.

Speaking of folks from down under, or thereabouts....

"Donk".

I grew up in WI where it is all industrial and agriculture for the last 150 years.
When I was young, old timers said motor. Why?
Because an engine was STEAM. Grandpa used a steam ENGINE to power the thresher. (the thresher was still in the shed in 1988 when he sold the farm, in perfectly working condition)
The motor was gas powered in the tractor. Start the motor. A little ether helps get the motor to fire in the cold. Motor cracked a head (Ford 9N) but we pinned it and repaired it.

Younger generations had access to electricity. Electric motors showed up to power things like the grain auger, hay elevator, things that a PTO or flat belt used to do. Silo unloaders. used to do that by hand. No one EVER says electric engine.
For most of my youth, both words were used, and no one had to explain it because DUH, if there was an electric motor on the elevator you plugged in the motor or flipped on the breaker. If it was a tractor or the truck you weren't looking for a plug lol.

Doesn't matter, an engine is defined as A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion.

That was my point.

It was not self powered.

...but it could be.

That's the difference, "Engine" has a somewhat broader definition as it can be a power source or utilize an external source.

"Motor" is a power source.

Either term is correct for what's under a car's hood.

20231221_154654.jpg

This dipstick doesn't know either?

Auto Transport Service
Back